TD27 motor to replace QD32 motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy g

Reaction score
G'day everyone. I am a new member and so I say HELLO to all of you.

I have owned an old Navara for a loong time, and want to say that I am Very happy with it - BUT it has rusted badly (years parked in ocean spray at my old work site).

I am considering buying a 1998 duel cab Navara with a damaged QD32 engine, and replacing that engine with the one from my 1987 duel cab Navara which has a TD 27 motor. Can I replace the QD 32 motor with a TD 27? There are no obvious differences between the cars that I can see, but I am not a mechanic!! There may be problems with engine mounts and bell housing/clutch /shaft, clearances etc, and everything else.
Any advice would be good.
Andy

Andy,

Get in touch with your state's road authority to check if you can fit a TD27 to a D22 utility. Chances are they'll say no but there may be ways around it, you need to look at what ADR the TD27 complies with and what ADR the QD32 complies with, they might be the same but I'd never bank on it.

Physically you can do the swap, I've done the swap in the other direction. Especially if the two cars are sitting side by side while you swap.

A blown engine QD32 would be pretty rare to come across.

As for why you'd want to put the wheezy TD27 into something fitted with a QD32, well that's your choice! :sarcastic:

Thanks to both Dion and Dave.

Dion, I have spent hours on the net reading about ADRs, state VSB14s, VLand Ms, and have talked to state approved engineers. I have sent off the form "Application to modify a vehicle" which will be a starting point in what I suspect will be a long correspondence with authorities.
It all looks promising!
As to why I want to do this: - the body that I can buy has no motor (the broken QD32 is missing), so it's relatively cheap, and my TD27 isn't too wheezy as it has a turbo.
Dave, if the 1998 body had a motor (and was cheap enough for me to buy) then I would do it up. Yes I will strip the old body and sell the parts but there isn't much that looks good!
Thanks guys

Andy, have you considered selling your old ute for parts, and buying a QD32 from somewhere? Will save you actually pulling the engine out of your old ute.

Having said that, I've just checked Wikipedia, and it says that the TD27T comes pretty close in power and torque to the normally aspirated QD32. Now, the turbo electronic injected QD32 is another story altogether :)

And according to redbook, the D22 in 98 & 99 came out with both the TD27 and QD32, so you might not need any engineering done to put the TD 27 in. Turbo shouldn't make a difference I wouldn't imagine.

Pinelli - I am delighted to hear that 98 and 99 models came with choice of either TD27 or QD32. This really does take the heat out of the issue as it should be just a simple swap rather than an engine modification. I have already sent in paper work to the authorities, , but now I feel that I have a good chance of success.

I don't know where you are Andy, but when I swapped an engine last year for one from the same model, all I needed to do was drive to Qld Transport, fill out a short form, and have one of the officers there come out and check the engine number - no permission needed.

Hi Pinelli,
I am in WA where all sorts of odd things can happen. Dion's advice that I talk to road authorities as they might not allow the swap was a bit of a shock. I have written to them (and 'phoned), but I haven't yet had a clear indication from them. Up till your post I was under the impression that because the QN32 superseded the TD27 there was a real possibility that the replacement of the newer motor with the old would not be permitted.
If both types of motor have been in the D22 , as you say, then there should be no issues and I can just take it over the pits for final inspection . I am now more confidant that the swap will be approved. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back