The ultimate set up?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew0

Reaction score
What's your thoughts on the ultimate set up for off-road.

2 inch suspension + 2 inch body 33s?

2 inch suspension and 33s

Camini 5 inch + suspension and 35s or 33s?

Front locker and or rear locker?

What type of bull bar?

What size tyres would you need to not get hung up on most rutts?

2 inch suspension + 2 inch body 33s?

2 inch suspension and 33s

Camini 5 inch + suspension and 35s or 33s?

Front locker and or rear locker?

What type of bull bar?

What size tyres would you need to not get hung up on most rutts?

Depends. Everyone is different. Reguardless of application, 35's on a Navara is a no need (unless of course its purely for body clearance). You may as well do a bit lift and stick with 33's.

Everyones ultimate set up is different. I prefer alot of accessories as i camp and fish with very small amounts of serious offroad. I run 3.5" lift and 285/75/16's. That's all i need. No lockers etc. I have a deluxe bullbar as i got it for a great price. Just for animal strikes.

I want the best for just off-road, the best balance of ground clearance and roll over hight. I see a lot of patrols running 35s so I thought having the longer wheel base as much ground clearance would be best. Not sure if it will want to roll over all the time tho. Especially with the front wanting to lift the front wheels all the time.

I want the best for just off-road, the best balance of ground clearance and roll over hight. I see a lot of patrols running 35s so I thought having the longer wheel base as much ground clearance would be best. Not sure if it will want to roll over all the time tho. Especially with the front wanting to lift the front wheels all the time.

35's will bust a stock diff real quick, your fuel economy will be terrible and theres a fair bit of guard modding to get them to fit. Even fitting 33's takes guard work.

Patrols are a tonne different to Navs. Bigger engines, different drivelines that can handle bigger tyres a bit better.

It's possible to fit them but then you will find the extra stuff you have to upgrade and beef up to take them isnt worth it. Unless of course you were going to do it anyways.

Well I bought it on finance, so i really couldn't be bothered trying to sell it, clear the loan and buy something more capable so I don't mine spending a fair amount of coin on it.

One question I have is if you put the smaller diff ratios in it.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18914849-4-1-front-ring-pinion.html

Would you still destroy diffs? Was thinking about getting them to make it better off line.

Get a fabtech 6" diff drop/lift kit, 2 inch struts and springs then a 2 inch body lift... Total lift of 10 inches. Install a lokka then put 35's on. Total lift around 12 to 13 inches including tyres.

Last edited:
Get a fabtech 6" diff drop/lift kit, 2 inch struts and springs then a 2 inch body lift... Total lift of 10 inches. Install a lokka then put 35's on. Total lift around 12 to 13 inches including tyres.

What he said. This is what i meant by if you were willing to spend the cashola. If so, then why the hell not i say!!!!

G'day.

It won't pass a roadworthy....
Have you been watching the 'DAKAR' highlights on SBS.

If you want it registered you have limits on what can be done.
Front and Rear Diff Lock.
Hydraulic Winch with a Priority Valve from the Power Steering.
Tow/Push "A" frame (Removable).
Maximum legal lift, Tyres, Body and Suspension.
More power....Chip, Exhaust etc.
Plenty of Bar work.
Lots of Lighting.

G'day.

It won't pass a roadworthy....
Have you been watching the 'DAKAR' highlights on SBS.

If you want it registered you have limits on what can be done.
Front and Rear Diff Lock.
Hydraulic Winch with a Priority Valve from the Power Steering.
Tow/Push "A" frame (Removable).
Maximum legal lift, Tyres, Body and Suspension.
More power....Chip, Exhaust etc.
Plenty of Bar work.
Lots of Lighting.

But as it was purchased on finance, it would already have rego and RWC. Or do you interstaters have to get a RWC each year when the rego is due?

But as it was purchased on finance, it would already have rego and RWC. Or do you interstaters have to get a RWC each year when the rego is due?

2 Issues.

1. My ideas on the ultimate 4x4 = nothing like Roadworthy or registrable and would draw unwanted attention if driven on public roads.

2. Purchased on finance will require insurance, they along with any State or Territory Motor Traffic Authority will require that a registered vehicle be kept roadworthy while on public roads. Beware the 'Yellow Canary'

I think the OP wants 'legal' mods.

Remote parts of QLD don't require RWC on vehicle transfers. Some Car yards take advantage of this rule and target those communities with "special" vehicles. I think NSW has anal RWC inspections.

Ultimate suspension set up for a navara would be to buy a patrol.
either that or dropped on its gutz on airbags, lowrider stylee.

Oorr.. 2" lift, bilteins or konis, 32" tyres like normal people and a pair of lockers, lol, hope that helps

Last edited:
- 2 inch suspension.

- Front locker.

- Maybe 1 inch larger diameter tyres. BUT it Detracts from performance, fuel economy and worst of all braking performance

Bull bars. If your traveling at night in high risk (animal strike) areas there a must, otherwise just a fashion accessory that adds weight and detracts from on road performance. As for bars go quality, Genuine or ARB. Those Smart/Enviro bars are worth a look to.

In my opinion anything more than that. Sell it and buy the right vehicle for you needs. It may be more economical to do so and I don't mean like fuel wise.

Latest posts

Back