The usual story...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLeod

Reaction score
G'day fellas,

Well, I've always loved the shape of the D21 Navara but have never actually owned one, or any ute for that matter. A few personal reasons have led me to cut my current Toyota AE86 project short unfortunetly, so I'm now seriously considering buying one. I've always loved the concept of the 'Mini truck', as useless as they are! Haha. So probably to your disappointment, I'm looking to build one. Nothing ridiculous. I'm not looking to have it laying on the ground with airbags. I'm probably going to just stick with adjustable coilover suspension at this stage, but have it really low, not so much that I have to chop the body up though (well hopefully). Anyway, it's great to see a website dedicated to the Navara!

Catch you around.

~Matt

Welcome Matt. There is a few lowered 21's one here and three is enough knowledgeable 21 owners to help you with anything you need.

I'm not looking to have it laying on the ground with airbags. I'm probably going to just stick with adjustable coilover suspension at this stage, but have it really low, not so much that I have to chop the body up though (well hopefully).

I'm with you on how good the D21 shape looks, don't tell the D22 owners but I think their cars are ugly in the face.

I would call coilovers as difficult to install as airbags, considering that it's leaf springs at the back, and torsion bars at the front. Both are easy to lower, but changing over to coilovers wouldn't be simple.

That's Good to know KraftyPg, thanks :cheers!:

Yeah Dion, I have to agree mate. I've just always been into the boxier styled vehicles. I'm a massive 80's period Jap car fan. Shakotan baby!
As for suspenion, thanks for the info. I knew they had leaf springs in the rear, I don't have much of an idea as to how difficult it would be to convert them though. But knowing me, I'll still go ahead with the conversion, haha. I prefer the idea of coilovers though.

Yeah the good thing about these utes is they're body-on-frame, so you have options. If you want to keep the solid axle rear, you could go for a 3, 4, or 5 link, on coilovers, or if you want IRS you could get the rear chop out of some sort of JDM import and weld it on, the options are only limited by your imagination and funds.

D21's actually look good slammed because of the boxy shape.
Personally dont see the need for one but as a street machine with clean lines, sleeper engine and a tidy interior I do like them.
Theres a a few numbats around my neighbourhood that have attempted the mini truck look but never got further than chopping springs on the hilux 4x2, bogging the body, adding a guide coat and paying a large amount for both the tailgate to have the askew recessed plate and the wannabe, ebay ordered plastic plate on the dash of "LO-LUX".
Good luck with it and by all means post up you project.

Latest posts

Back