thermo fan on intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerdriver

Reaction score
during slow 4x4ing I would like to help out the cooling on my intercooler by putting a thermo fan in front of it on a switch to activate it only when needed, so when I'm on the highway I can simply switch it off, would this be very hard to install and would it give good benefits or should I go for a larger intercooler

I'd put the money towards a bigger intercooler, that acts as a better heatsink in stop and go traffic....

I looked at a bigger intercooler and its around the $1600 mark, for around $100 I can get a thermo fan

I'm looking at similar for my d22 top mount. My studies tell me a can fit the Dave Craig or whatever it is 8" thermo fan. I'm gonna hook it to a switch that I cam just turn it on and off with. Not for it to switch on when its wants.

Rusty

I looked at a bigger intercooler and its around the $1600 mark, for around $100 I can get a thermo fan
200usd will buy you a nice EVO sized IC core on Ebay. Since you're not afraid to DIY, fitting it should not be a terribly big problem.
This is mine, core is 22x10x3", 27" end to end. Roughly twice the volume of the stock IC core, 17x7x2.5", IIRC.
fc90b529.jpg

Edited to add: on a D40 with an FMIC and therefore negligible additional heatsoak in stop and go traffic, the fan will not do a lot, and will even hinder airflow somewhat, once up to speed.

On a D22 TMIC however, a fan will be a much more effective mod, as this IC does indeed get thoroughly heatsoaked while standing still of moving slowly.

Last edited:
200usd will buy you a nice EVO sized IC core on Ebay. Since you're not afraid to DIY, fitting it should not be a terribly big problem.
This is mine, core is 22x10x3", 27" end to end. Roughly twice the volume of the stock IC core, 17x7x2.5", IIRC.
fc90b529.jpg

Edited to add: on a D40 with an FMIC and therefore negligible additional heatsoak in stop and go traffic, the fan will not do a lot, and will even hinder airflow somewhat, once up to speed.

On a D22 TMIC however, a fan will be a much more effective mod, as this IC does indeed get thoroughly heatsoaked while standing still of moving slowly.

your nav is insane mate, read through your whole build thread on frontier.org have you got any vids of it in action?

anyone know how i shoudl wire a thermo fan up for under my intercooler. i have trie google but it is senting me nuts with everyones different setup. all i am getting is a 8" Craig Davies fan and i am mounting it to the bottom of the factory intercooler. all i want it to do is to switch on and off via a toggle switch in the car. it will only be used for the slow offroad driving and keeping the heatsoak down away from the intercooler. can someone draw me up a wiring diagram or something so i can order this fan and get it in.

cheers

rusty

Same idea as your spotlights. Buy a wiring harness from super rap ;)

Ofcourse. Wire 85 to earth, 86 to ignition with the inline toggle, and then power through 30 out of 87 into the fan and the other side of the fan to earth. Fuse your power wire ofcourse.

Last edited:
Ok so just gonna make sure I'm on the right path. Got my sexc fan yesterday and pulled the relay and harness out to get the wiring spaghetti wiring sorted out. Ok so I have the obvious red and black. Black has 2 wires running off it, one running from relay and other which to me would join into the fan itself. Then a blue which is gonna go into the blue wire of the fan itself and then a green which on the destructions say to go to aircon clutch. Now is it this green wire that I stick into the toggle switch? Along with a power in from battery and earth off the switch aswell?

Another idea is the thermo activated by a pressure switch (hobbs switch). My water/air cooler pump and thermo are wired up to run slow at idle and when boosting they run full speed.

Ok so just gonna make sure I'm on the right path. Got my sexc fan yesterday and pulled the relay and harness out to get the wiring spaghetti wiring sorted out. Ok so I have the obvious red and black. Black has 2 wires running off it, one running from relay and other which to me would join into the fan itself. Then a blue which is gonna go into the blue wire of the fan itself and then a green which on the destructions say to go to aircon clutch. Now is it this green wire that I stick into the toggle switch? Along with a power in from battery and earth off the switch aswell?

Can you see the numbers on the terminals on the relay?

If not I assume the red is battery +, black is earth, green will be the toggle switch or trigger. They obviously run that thermo to come on when the air con is on. And yes blue to the thermo fan.

Hope that helps

Number are as mentioned by FatBoy a few posts back. If its that easy to wire then I'm laughing. the hardest bit will be installing it lol

Sweet the wire has a fuse between battery and relay already. So its just needing a few more wires to finish it off and it should work

Latest posts

Back