Thermo fans running overtime

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrgd40

Reaction score
Gidday all,
I have an 2009 d40 tdi with 130k.
Just purchased the truck.
The thermos seem to run way too often.
Temp gauge seems fine.
The power seems to lack a little also when thermos kick in.
There is recording saying the coolant was replaced in March.
Has anyone had a similar occurance?
Is this normal?

Cheers

The thermal fan comes on a lot in my car and I don't even notice it. I know it's on because I've shone a torch down at it and seen it going, and the thing is supposed to run whenever the aircon is in use, and when the coolant temp is 105C or greater.

The mechanical fan is a different story. It's supposed to engage fully when coolant temps rise over 90-odd degrees celcius. It should disengage as coolant temps fall again. In mine, as I'm towing up a hill my coolant will rise to 99-100C (and then I start changing down gears) and when I crest the hill and coast down the other side, you can hear the fan roaring until the coolant temp falls to 91C, then everything goes quiet again.

If yours is making an extraordinary racket, you should have it checked. If the fan blades have any cracking (particularly around the roots of the blades) the fan will vibrate when it starts working - but it will also claw its way forward toward the radiator and start gouging rings in it.

Thanks for the replies.
It must be the mechinal fan.
Maybe there is a heag issue somewhere?
It seems to kick in way too often/early.

Do you have an android phone?
A bluetooth obd2 adapter and Torque app for Android is a good easy cheap way to get an accurate gauge on temperature of coolant and intake air.
Also if you haven't replaced the fan clutch yet it's probly worth doing. The dayco ones seem alright for a fraction of the price of genuine

Latest posts

Back