Throttle Issue with 2013 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navig8tor

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong section however I need some help/advice please.

I've noticed over the last few days that when I change form 1st into 2nd and then 2nd into 3rd my nav kind of hesitates a little before it comes onto boost and then as it comes onto boost it feels as though it's surging.
It's almost as if it's got a sticky throttle body.

Has anyone else had this issue and could you point me in the direction as to what might be causing this and how to fix it please?

Cheers.

Hey mate. How many km on it? How old are your air and fuel filters? They'd be the first thing I'd check.

bods

Its got 55k on it and fuel/air filters were replaced just over 5k ago.

I've looked around and from what I can read I'm thinking it's the old Neutral Position Switch. Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track here? and if so I assume it's just a matter if disconnecting this and not having the heat switch??

It could be the nps, try holding the gear stick to the left or right while accelerating and see if it helps at all. Yeah you just disconnect the nps then the heat switch wont work. Or replace it

Hmmm. Could be, doesn't usually happen in the lower gears, but that doesn't mean it isn't the problem...

Jased22

Thanks for your response. I've disconnected the NPS and it seems to have eliminated some of the problem which is making me think it's something else. I will try holding the shifter to the left/right to see if that helps.

happy_john

Thanks for your response. If the wastage actuator is causing it, how do I go about finding out if this is the cause, and if so how do I go about fixing it and how costly will this be?

A starting point would be to check your boost under heavy acceleration, it should be around 14-15psi. Unfortunately your niggly issue could be anything, the fact that it is relatively new with low kms really means a process of elimination. My first thought was the NPS when I read your post but again unusual to fail so prematurely.

2013 would be a VNT turbo wouldn't it, no wastegate. Could be the vnt controller.

Thanks for your response guys

I drove it tonight and there was a point where it was under heavy load and was still quite laggy. I don't have a boost gauge installed so I can't confirm if it was around the 14/15psi as suggested.

As I've said the NPS has been disconnected and I thought this may have sorted the issue but nope its still playing up, even more so tonight I noticed.

Any further help here to sort the issue is appreciated.

It sounds like either a fuel or air delivery problem. What brand fuel do you run in it? Could also be a dirty maf sensor, so it wouldn't hurt to clean that too. For thr cost, it might also be worth running one of those liquimoly diesel purge cans through the fuel rail and injectors just in case they are dirty.

I run caltex and have always done so.

The thing does have a slight whistle, its had it for a while now (kind of sounds like a siren from inside) but its not. Nissan have checked it and confirmed there's no issues with the turbo.
It seems like the air filter assembly isn't sealed properly and its pushing air out somewhere so I do need to get in there and fix that up.

As for cleaning the maf sensor whats the best product to use here?

And yeah I had a similar though to run a liquimoly through it to give all the lines a clean.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/CRC-Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Cleaner-300g/157339

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435365848.191608.jpg

Works a treat. Think electrical contact cleaner is the same deal tho.

That stuff posted above will do the trick, or electrical contact cleaner as mentioned, but either will be fine. Does the whistle get any worse when the surging is happening? It is hard to tell what the turbo is doing without a boost gauge, but does it give a steady whistle under load or sound like boost drops off and then picks back up when it is surging?

Thanks .. I'll get some of that and give the sensor a clean.

The whistle doesn't get any worse, you can hear it when accelerating.

The boost and revs drop when it surges, it feels like its a sticky throttle body as in in opens slightly, then opens all the way as per normal.

Thanks .. I'll get some of that and give the sensor a clean.

The whistle doesn't get any worse, you can hear it when accelerating.

The boost and revs drop when it surges, it feels like its a sticky throttle body as in in opens slightly, then opens all the way as per normal.
Give the cleaner a go, it won't hurt. The boost problem could be caused by wastegate creep, as john mentioned earlier. If the wastegate is opening too early boost will drop off, then when low enough the wastegate will close and the boost increase, until it opens again. I can't say I've ever had that problem on mine, but 1 way around it is fitting a manual boost controller. Not to increase the boost, but to limit the are the wastegate sees until the boost gets high enough.

Thanks bods it's starting to sound like its a wastage issue so I'll put a controller on it and see what that does.

Are you able to put up an image of where the controller fits in the line? I'm assuming it'll go in between the actuator and turbo itself?

Last edited:
thanks tweak'e.

I was just out and about in it and the issue seemed a little worse then what it has been. It's just so laggy and not producing good boost.
I've also noticed that when it sits on a certain speed the revs slightly jump up and down (as if its got a big cam in it) haha so I don't know if thats part of the issue too.

Tweak'e if it's not the wastegate what are you thinking it might be?

Latest posts

Back