Ticking Noise when accelerating from 1500rpm to 2000rpm

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexgu

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 2010 Navara D40 got engine ticking or tapping noise when I gentally accelerate from around 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm under load doesn't matter which gear, what speed, Cold engine or Warm engine. Noise is constant if I keep revs at 2000 rpm.
I sent back to dealer, couple weeks ago, they said this is normal desiel engine rattling... I tried all the Navara in my company's fleet, none one like mine...Today I sent my Nav back to dealer again... they said it is Clutch....they changed it under warranty...and they said they can't hear anyother noise especially from engine... but when I took it back after work....nothing changed...stilll very strong tapping noise under hood. when I go up hill just feel like a tractor 'ta ta ta ta....'

Could you guys please give me some advise? Should I keep annoying dealer? I thought it is lifter noise or fuel pump issues..... if dealer insist no issues at all what I gonna do?

Cheers,

Mate i have what i think is the same ticking noise as you describe.

the noise or ticking sound is there when i maintain a speed but if i put my foot down it goes and

the engine sounds like a normal diesel.

I too have had it a the dealer and was also told it was normal, BUT after owning a number of

other diesels before this one i dont think it is normal, BUT this is my first common rail so i could

be wrong.

Im not sure weather it is injector noise, or timing chain tensioner which have been known to be

problematic especially in the UK.

I have decided to just let it go as i have 200k worth of warranty and Nissan do all the services,

if anything does go pop they will certainly be fixing it for free.

Having said all that if you do figure out what the heck it is please let me know.

Goodluck.

I will let you kown if I can find solution... really annoying me this bloodly tapping noise. I drive on the winding road every day. everytime I put my foot on accelerator just like nightmare... I probably need to upgrade my speakers...

Welcome to the forum.

There could be several reasons for the ticking noise. The obvious ones have been covered - injectors/timing chain/chain tensioner being the most common, but usually at much higher km than yours has.

There's also a chance that it's an EGR leak. If you haven't blocked your EGR valve, it's possible that the EGR is coming out of the crack in spurts, in time with the puffs from the exhaust. This should also reduce your power levels, as there won't be as much pressure to drive the turbine.

Sadly it could also be a crack in the main fan. I'd have that checked ASAP, because if it lets go it could rip the radiator apart.

The alternators have had issues with the pulleys as well - or was it bearings in the alternator - or both? Anyway, it's something to take a look at too. Not sure it'd make a sound like tapping, but it's worth checking.

It's also valuable to take the car to someone that has an automotive stethoscope and get them to listen to it.

Hahaaha yeah my stereo is often turned up when im just cruising on the free way.

The thing that makes me think it could be Injector noise is that when i get Diesel from One BP servo in Fyshwick it sounds quieter..... mmmmmmm....
I normally fill up at the CALTEX servos because i have a Discount card, but each time i use it, i notice the rattle more.
BUT here is where i just dont know that it is just the diesel, i have tried other BP servo's and no difference same with SHELL........ so i really just dont know

:confused2:
Welcome to the forum.

There could be several reasons for the ticking noise. The obvious ones have been covered - injectors/timing chain/chain tensioner being the most common, but usually at much higher km than yours has.

There's also a chance that it's an EGR leak. If you haven't blocked your EGR valve, it's possible that the EGR is coming out of the crack in spurts, in time with the puffs from the exhaust. This should also reduce your power levels, as there won't be as much pressure to drive the turbine.

Sadly it could also be a crack in the main fan. I'd have that checked ASAP, because if it lets go it could rip the radiator apart.

The alternators have had issues with the pulleys as well - or was it bearings in the alternator - or both? Anyway, it's something to take a look at too. Not sure it'd make a sound like tapping, but it's worth checking.

It's also valuable to take the car to someone that has an automotive stethoscope and get them to listen to it.

thanks for your reply mate,

Do you think I should keep annoying dealer or I am going to find a independent inspection service station to give me a independent report then go back to dealer?

Cheers,

Hahaaha yeah my stereo is often turned up when im just cruising on the free way.

The thing that makes me think it could be Injector noise is that when i get Diesel from One BP servo in Fyshwick it sounds quieter..... mmmmmmm....
I normally fill up at the CALTEX servos because i have a Discount card, but each time i use it, i notice the rattle more.
BUT here is where i just dont know that it is just the diesel, i have tried other BP servo's and no difference same with SHELL........ so i really just dont know

I use BP card :confused3: I probably should try Shell's :)

if you don't like it sell your Nav and buy a Hilux.

WoW whats with that comment????? i dont think he was bagging the Nav that much that he needs to sell it, or if he even mentioned that he doesnt like it.......

I think he is just worried mate.....

Yeah mate that's standard, i have been back to the dealer 100 times about the same problem and others, had 4 new turbos and replaced the injectors 3 time. Old Tony chucked some 2 stroke oil in his nav and i also tried it, quietened it down real quick, or if you don't like it sell your Nav and buy a Hilux.

mmmmm....sounds like buy nav just like buy lottory :) I tried all Navs in company fleet...I am the only one have this noise....:rock: I love my box Nav, Hilux just little bit...:homoswitch:

I think you could poke around inside the engine bay yourself for a little bit and see if you can spot it. Give each blade of the fan a good shake and look for splits or cracks. Look around the gold pipe that leads around the front of the engine just behind that fan and see if you can spot any black soot around any cracks or the joins.

Failing that, asking someone to have a listen to the internals shouldn't cost a lot. If it's timing chain/tensioner, it'll be super-rattly at the front of the motor and quieter down the back.

I've got the exact same symptoms. Seems to happen when I start to hit boost and the turbo spools up. Which is very concerning, hoping that I haven't done a bearing or the compressor is hitting the housing or something along those lines...

Again, had it serviced a few weeks ago and they said there was nothing unusual at all.

i had a similar noise it was my airbox rattling

the resinator had failed the the box was vibrating

was fixed under warrany

worth a look anyway

More like a rattle? There's a clutch pipe that goes from the back of the master cylinder to the slave that sometimes contacts the firewall and resonates through the cab

More like a rattle? There's a clutch pipe that goes from the back of the master cylinder to the slave that sometimes contacts the firewall and resonates through the cab

Ah ok i know what you mean, Nissan at Moss Vale have done the "FIX" after the 40k service. As soon as they changed the clutch fluid i got that rattle, since they did the "FIX" it is better but still does it from time to time, now they dont know what to do. But as i said it so unpredictable now and doesnt seem to hang around for very long i really dont care anymore..... haha

The noise the clutch pipe makes is like something rattling in the dash, i just had mine fixed..
The fix was wack all the pipes along the firewall with your palm

The "fix" Nissan do is a little chamber that connects up to the clutch lines and is meant to collect the trapped air in it and therefor stop the vibration.
With emphasis on the word MEANT

Latest posts

Back