Timing again

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane76

Reaction score
Hey guys been re-reading back through alot of the old timing chain topics.

I have spoken to Paul from YD25 but he is out of stock of chains for a lil bit, and im pretty sure i need to get it done ASAP as i am getting alot of funny noises the like, plus when nissan did the forced regen for the DPF they said i needed to do it. Of course im out of warranty so that is a no go.

I rang Repco and they quoted me a full kit 2 chains and 4 sprockets and guides and all for $341.55. Does this sound right as nissan are telling me $1800 or more??

Has anyone used the repco parts (this is not the duplex kit)

HELP???
Cheers

I priced up the Repco duplex kit for around the $500 mark, if I remember correctly. If you have a look through the Nason website it shows the kits as they supply Repco.
I never went ahead with it - yet. I think labour would be the painful bit.

How far is your ute out of warranty??
Nissan have been replacing chains in allot of ute with well over 100'000km on the clock, might be worth hitting Nissan up for a "good will" warranty claim

Yeah Nath I have been reading about all the good will casesd, mine is a 2007 with 142k kms and since i purchased it i service it myself or a my mechanic mate does any of the stuff i wont touch.

OK update on the whole timing issue, my mate/mechanic spoke to a tech at nissan said he has never done a bottom chain on the yd25, only ever top ones..............whatever. Anyways after trying to track a kit down and calling repco and nissan and paul from yd25, I rememeber coming across a post in the "another timing chain" topic about a member whos son worked at repco and a link to pdf. On the bottom was a name an number, so i called them.
Spoke to a bloke by the name of Blake and he was very helpful. I spoke to him at 4.20pm on thursday afternoon and he was in QLD, some parts were coming from QLD and some from WA. Had them all in my hand 9.30am friday morning. So on saturday me and my mate did the duplex conversion, and to cut a long boring story short. The difference is frggin unreal, its like a new car. Glad to not have to worry now

Sounds like great service and an AWESOME outcome, BUT tell em the price son...... tell em the price??????

And if anyone in sydney needs someone to do the timing chain or chain conversion. I can recommend Blue Star Automotive at Victoria rd Ermington. They can also look after anything else mechanical. Ask for Joe or John. 98748359

We really need to sticky a thread on this I think. With all appropriate replacement costs links and contacts. And a good description on symptoms and diagnosing the problem correctly.

I jumped on the worry band wagon a few months ago before getting it checked then I relaxed again because it was fine but just this week I've noticed a ticking on start up and I got a mechanic mate to check it out. He said it looks like I'm in need of a new timing chain...

3rd owner, 93k 06 stx Spain built. No chance at Nissan I don't think but I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck.

I have done mine. Full replacement with a YD25 double row kit. On the D22 it's a lot harder than the D40 to replace. Just try something first. After I had mine changed I didn't hear the noise for ages then one day it made the rattle noise that I alway associated with the timing chain then it didn't do it again, but on my last service (I do myself) I changed the coolant first as I also changes all fan belts and didn't want coolant on the new belts, when I sprayed the hose on the belts with the engine running that rattle started and loud, I did it a few times and every time the rattle came back. That got me thinking as the only time I ever heard the rattle noise was either on cold winter mornings or after rain. So it may be condensation on the belts or somewhere in that area. I changed all my belts as they were squeaking and had 110k on them and while they were off clean and rubbed grease on all the tensioner pulley bearings. And haven't heard it since. Try it it could save you some $$$. My chain had signs of stretching but no wear on any of the guides so it was going to need doing one day, but at least it's done now. Problem with the D22 is that the amount of effort it takes to check it you may as well replace it while you have it apart. $12-13 hundred for the kit plus another 15 hundred to fit. If I had the time I would have done it myself. But it takes two full days to fit.

Cheers brad.

How big a job is inspecting the chain on a D40, thinking of having a look myself and if needed is it a job the home mechanic could do.

How big a job is inspecting the chain on a D40, thinking of having a look myself and if needed is it a job the home mechanic could do.

Not to bad as the timing chain cover comes off pretty easy. You will have to remove the EGR tube and maybe the fan which I think that is all you need to remove to replace it. D22 are a lot harder due to the oil pump making it that you have to remove the sump. Cheers

Dropping the radiator and shroud out as well would create a lot more space, and they are not difficult jobs.

Now that I have decided to keep my D40 I am more inclined to do the double row chain as a precaution.

you can get the top cover off easy as the others said, take off the EGR pipe and the fan and shroud will give you plenty to have a look. If you wanna go deeper you may need to take more off. Once the top cover is off you can see the top chain right there and most of the secondary guides and tensioner. you can also see the dreaded single row lol, and you can feel how much stretch it has. Hope this helps

HAHAHA Damo, just glad its done now and double row. Couldnt believe how quiet it is after starting now. Pity the injectors still make a raquet.

Damo I have a pdf that they sent me i can email to you if you like as i have no idea how to link it up here.
There is a dark blue link on the primary chain and a yellow on the secondary. Im not sure what was stamped on the chain

Latest posts

Back