Timing Chain replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzkev

Reaction score
Hi All have a interesting question on the D40 i had a bloke try to tell me that the timing chain should be replaced every 100,000 klms ... heard of timing belts to be done every 100,000 but the timing chain ?? thats a $2000 job thereabouts isnt it on the D40
cheers Kev

opinions vary,also different cars different chains,some are doubled up.i did mine every 100 odd in my old pajero but i did it myself so was only the cost of the chain kit,the way i saw it better safe then sorry.
in saying that NO it does not need to be changed at 100 or even at all in some cases,the chances of a chain snapping without warning are bugger all.

There has been talk of this being done or needing to be done due to the amount of stories where the chains have snapped, and that they are only a single row chain.
From what i gather the problems seem to be caused from the tensioners
If i was to do it, i would do the upgrade to the better system (double row as far as i know) and then forget about it.
Im not sure of the exact threads but there is a few on here where all this has been mentioned in quite a bit of detail.

It's your choice to make ;) my lower chain broke at 123000kms with no warning, wish I only had to pay $2000 now. Dads broke at 103000 same deal. Both just out of Nissans 3 year 100000km warranty both broke the lower chain which is only a single row chain, the upper is a double.

Since my last post on this thread i have learnt first hand how Nissan are more then will to change the chains under warranty even if they have the slittiest noise and i have also heard of a number of people have the chains done well after the WARRANTY has expired under so called "GOOD WILL"

I have also changed my mind on replacing the chain for the upgrade. With the upgraded chain costing so much you could afford to replace three standard chains to the cost of one double row conversion which would see you hit the 400k mark, which i doubt many of us would see as most of us would have sold and moved into a new ride by that stage.

Also do you trust that the double row chain is any better? is the problem really with the chain or the tensioners wearing out? thus causing undue stress on the chain and it inevitably failing regardless of if it is single row or double row.

Latest posts

Back