Timing mechanical pump by ear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagwill

Reaction score
Hi Just fitted a QD32 turbo pump, bought from Alibarba onto a new QD32. I searched and seached the net for specific timing but found nothing. From info on other pumps i decided to time it at 0.6 with a dial indicator. Started it up, it sounds fine. Havnt got it hot yet as i havnt fitted radiator alternator etc. Just started and run for say a minute or so. What i did notice was that at fast idle it was quiet and smooth, if i supply power to the advance solenoid which advances timing 5 to 8 degrees for starting, it just begins to rattle , disconnect and it runs quiet again. Any thoughts on sweet spot for timing. Thanks David

TDS and QDS/mechanical/ have a lot of forgiveness when timing you usually can just rotate the pump/advance until you start to here injector knock then back it off till you no longer hear it and if you want more out of the pump you can also rotate the plunger/find the steepest ramp to give a bit more fuel.

Thanks 1081 , There are two wires coming from the pump . one is on off solenoid for fuel, the other stops fuel return and increases timing while starting.
So activating the second wire gives me slight knock at idle , disconnect and all is smooth, so from what you said im thinking im not too far off. Thanks.
PS when ypu find the knock and then back off a little ,, is that at idle or mid revs, Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back