To get 33's or stick with 32's...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, some of the tracks can have some pretty decent rocky sections - and I just cringe everytime I hear a scrape or bang - the old bash plate cops a bit of a bashing alright. My fuel tank seems pretty low which is the main reason I am going to lift the ute higher - plus some of the wagons on here with 33's look fairly impressive.

I've got the same truck as you, 2010 STX D40 King Cab. I had 285's on mine for about 18 months. Yep it looked great. I do agree bigger tyres kill braking, they do, but I didn't notice any difference.

When the 285's wore out I went to 235/85x16's they're the same height as 265's but thinner.

I didn't notice any improvement in fuel consumption, I was expecting to, but didn't. What I did notice were great improvements in acceleration, turning/cornering and general driveability I guess.

Although I just said I didn't, I have noticed some improvement in braking and fuel consumption, but it's only noticeable when I look for it, it didn't jump out at me.

Why don't you buy a cheap set of 285's, wear them out in 12 months and if you still like how the truck rolls, buy a better set.

I've been up, down and through as steep and sludgey stuff as I would dare and want to in my 40 with the 235's and I've had no dramas. I've banged the underneath a few times, but when I look underneath afterwards I can't even see where I hit.

The diff between 33's & 32's is one inch, but you only get half that as lift as the other half is on top of the tyre. 1/2 an inch is about the thickness of your finger.

4WDing is about thirds. One third is your vehicle, another third is your skill and the last third is luck.

I won't be going back to 285's I have no need.

I love My 33s.fitting them you need to trim the guards and inner guards as in the posts..fuel consumption goes up (for me it was a 1ltr) and now i feel 6th is not as usable as it was in factory form.the sweet spot for 6th gear cruising is now more like 120 and up.
With all other mods im getting in the 600-650 range per tank.around town its great tho.
Between the ride height..33s...chips..extra drag from bars / lights and the extra weight im not sure where you loose the economy but would i go back to 32s.....NEVER

I am also keen on going up to 33's from 32's, I've done some pretty hard tracks in the past and havent broken a diff so surely the extra 25mm of rubber all round wouldnt put my diff at risk if I did the exact same stuff I've been doing?

I am also keen on going up to 33's from 32's, I've done some pretty hard tracks in the past and havent broken a diff so surely the extra 25mm of rubber all round wouldnt put my diff at risk if I did the exact same stuff I've been doing?

Thats what i thought, you have to remember its not only the extra diameter its the extra width, so you not only have a bigger mass to move you have more traction with a bigger footprint in width and length.

Im not saying you will 100% break a diff but as i owned two and have done plenty of off roading in both and never had an issue until i put the bigger rubber on, then i broke two in quick succession and i was on trails i had done on more then one occasion.

Like i said im not saying it will be an issue but it seemed that way for me and i just like to let people know about possible issues.

I have been going over this question in my mind for ages now... I decided to stick with 32s... as has been previously said in this thread, the front diff is shit and can't handle it, increased width and diameter puts too much extra strain on front end components and overall height gain vs 32s is not enough.

33s look tough but the D40 just ain't tough enough to cope. Stick to 32s.

Did you look at 255/85x16's? They're about the same height as 285's, slightly higher actually, but not as wide.

I ran my 285's for a bit over 12 months and never had any problems off road.

i would stick with 32'.
1. fuel eco
2. 25mm more rubber. is prolly about 20% more weight than 32' when it spins centrifugal force is much greater. cv, diff will suffer higher risk of failure.
3. in nsw its illegal unless you get it engineered. under new vsi it states you can increase tire diameter to 7% without requiring enginnering. not saying you will get done for it, but there is chance you can. also insurance can bite you with it if you ever have to claim. not sure if nathan was enginnered or not. i considered the incident as very lucky, they could have biting him back saying driving defective car. FYI 33' is somewhere 8% increased diamter.

my opinion stick with 32'

noticed, you live in w.a not nsw.
anyhow according to transport w.a NCOP11 section 4.2.4 it states that
"Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle."
fyi http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

I am pretty sure that 50mm is about 2 inches, and as my wagon had 31 inch tyres from the factory - I think 33 inches is legal. or am I missing something obvious?

Right, the plan so far is that I will try to get an extra inch (or so) lift to my ute, and see how it goes down the tracks.... and how it looks. Then make a call when my tyres need replacing, which I am guessing is another 30,000km...

I need the extra clearance.... the rocks are gnarly (dude)

Latest posts

Back