Tool box installation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
Hi all, before I make another mistake, I bought an aluminium toolbox from Bunnings (fairly light weight) that is to sit nicely behind my rear window of the D22 (inbetween the wheel arches). I already have a plastic ute liner and want to be able to secure it.

Before I start drilling holes through the bed of the ute (I was going to drill 4 holes through the box, plastic liner and the ute bed and bolt it in each of the 4 corners of the toolbox), I'd like to know others experience and whether this is an absolute no-no or if that's the only way to secure it properly. I could attach the rear side to the tray bolt-holes but there's a big 3-inch space to fill, and I think it still won't be secure if I go bouncing around.

Help??

Hey Pete,
I haven't attached a tool box but I have put a second battery in the tray of my D40 by drilling holes through the tub and liner. No problems but it is definitely worth while getting underneath first to get an idea of where the bolts are going to come through ( make sure there's no wiring looms etc.) Also with the potential weight of a tool box some large flat washers on the underside and box side would be advisable to spread the uplift load.
Good Luck

You could get some 3" rhs and drill thru the whole lot so that the tool box pulls up tight to the front.,,, does that make sence??

If you are drilling through the bed liner, make sure you remove it to clean out ALL of the swarf from the drilling or else you will start off rust in your tray. No iffs or butts.
I would also use some anti rust grease or such on the holes through the ute tray.
Use large washers to spread the load on the bolts through both sides of the tool box(inside) and the tray(underneath).
That should see you right.

Definantly remove the liner. Took mine completely off the other week, luckily there were only three or four TINY spots of rust so i knocked the rust spots off, treated them and painted over the primer.

Wasnt much dirt or leaves under it, but enough to cause the start of some rusting.

Latest posts

Back