Torsion bar removal and re-indexing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Whilst I'm going to be flat on my back under this Thai Tuk Tuk tomorow I figured I might have a crack at resetting the torsion bars. From the factory the RH bar has run out of adjustment just to set it level with bar and winch whilst the LH bar has at least 50% more adjustment remaining. In my mind this points to the fact that the adjusters are indexed differently on the splines and so I would like to remove them and set the RH bar to the same position as the LH ----Make sense?
So how do you get them out? Anyone got experience doing this? I can guess but some guidance and previous experience would be helpful.

Whilst I'm going to be flat on my back under this Thai Tuk Tuk tomorow I figured I might have a crack at resetting the torsion bars. From the factory the RH bar has run out of adjustment just to set it level with bar and winch whilst the LH bar has at least 50% more adjustment remaining. In my mind this points to the fact that the adjusters are indexed differently on the splines and so I would like to remove them and set the RH bar to the same position as the LH ----Make sense?
So how do you get them out? Anyone got experience doing this? I can guess but some guidance and previous experience would be helpful.

Good to hear from you! Thought you had gone AWAL!.

No idea how to, but maybe one or two spline difference may be enough?

Good to hear from you! Thought you had gone AWAL!.

No idea how to, but maybe one or two spline difference may be enough?

I'm like vegemite at the moment----spread a bit thin!:big_smile:
Things are coming back to an even keel though so beware blatant post whoring and me spending $6.42 everyday in giving my 2c worth everywhere.

If you don't give us the full $6.42 can we have a refund or demand more?

Fire is an option..... Unfortunately diesel burns too slow and the fire investigators will easily work out the line in their report "accelarant was applied"
So I will stick with using spanners and swear words for now.
God help the poor hapless sod that ever buys this vehicle off me and fronts up to this forum pronouncing that they have just bought a well sorted D22 and finds how much aggravation it has caused me. Then again I have only realy told 1/4 of the stories. So. Best of luck Champ!

Torsion bars? Help? Anyone?

Loosen torsion bar all the way off, slip foward the dust boot at rear of bar, remove snap spring circlip under boot, undo three bolts on lower control arm, slid bar out foward. All done and adjusted with the vehicle jacked up and supported. Adjustment of the torsion bar when supporting vehicle weight can strip the thread on the adjuster bolt. It is a piece of cake except for having to jack up and down over and over to check the final height.

Cheers

Thanks Pete.
Although I did adjust them upwards to cater for bar and winch whilst unsupported without drama. I did however roll it back and forth a full tyre rotation and bounce it to get it to settle into new location.

On a Jeep the left hand spring is heavier to account for fat assed yanks!. maybe the Thai's where thinking on the same line?

Hello to All,
Whilst on the subject of torsion bars - I am not able to provide any guidance re fitting / adjustments------however - like many of you forumites - I too went down the path of " wind up the std bars....etc etc. ". Well yes - I got the desired raised look....( I run an ARB steel winch bar / drv lights / EFS F / R shocks and EFS rear springs ). What I didnt get was ride QUALITY. Wound up torsion bars helped my vehicle to look "horny"....but at a comfort sacrifice. Well today.......I collected my D22 from Hi Tech 4X4 at Penrith NSW after having EFS front torsion bars fitted....WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!! what a difference - still looks the part - but the difference in the ride is fantastic.
My point.....If you can afford to " up rate" not "adjust" your torsion bars - you will not be sorry - was well worth the $470 all up. Cheers to all.

When adjusting my torsion bars. with a 3 inch lift. What is the best way to index the torsion bars? once removed should i space between my lower control arm and my wheel?

hey guys was thinking about re indexing mine as they are both wound all they way up and the suspension has sagged a fair but. roughly how long does this take? and how much lift should i be expected to get at the front? some advise would be sweet as i don't want to stuff it up!!
cheers,
cam

Has anyone actually done a step by step instructional thread on how to remov and reinstall new torsion bars. I will be doing it shortly and just wanted to see if there was to help me out. If not ill try rememebr to take lots of pictures to do up a thread

Rusty

Has anyone actually done a step by step instructional thread on how to remov and reinstall new torsion bars. I will be doing it shortly and just wanted to see if there was to help me out. If not ill try rememebr to take lots of pictures to do up a thread

Rusty

Do you have a copy of the service manual? It's in there pretty clearly.

Otherwise I dont have pictures, but could easily describe it

Rusty

Yes I have.
It's in the d22 suspension and steering section.

Latest posts

Back