Tow Hook Install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcm9669

Reaction score
Hi,
My girlfriend bought me a pair of these tow hooks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172025669496

However I am unsure of where to install them. I have the Ironman D22 Commercial Bullbar installed, contacted ironman resulted in no response. I will mainly be using these for self recovery with the winch so I can double up using a snatch block for added pulling power from the winch.

I looked underneath the Nav thoroughly and can't find anywhere where they would fit, so I think I'll need to drill. But before starting to drill I'd like to confirm if where I'm thinking would be a good place. I uploaded some photos of the location I was thinking.. Please let me know what you think and if anyone did something similar?

Or maybe suggest a better place?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• Location.jpg
    Location.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Drill Driver Side.jpg
    Drill Driver Side.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Closer Look Driver Side.jpg
    Closer Look Driver Side.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Passenger Side.jpg
    Passenger Side.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Passenger Side Close Look.jpg
    Passenger Side Close Look.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 124
They're recovery hooks. The 10mm bolts have to be special high tensile (8.8) and they have to (MUST, absolutely vital) be mounted directly to the chassis rail. One on each is best, and an equalisation strap is suggested to halve the load across the rails when you are using them.

Consider placing them at the rear instead, since you already have a winch?

Hey mate, I've got a couple of these to put on as well on my d22. There is a couple of captive nuts in the chassis rails at the front that can be used. However the recovery hooks hole spacing does not line up. To make them fit you need a piece of angle iron to make up an adapter. I plan to do mine like the red ones in this thread:

http://navara.asia/showthread.php?t=9452&page=3

Hope this helps...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They're recovery hooks. The 10mm bolts have to be special high tensile (8.8) and they have to (MUST, absolutely vital) be mounted directly to the chassis rail. One on each is best, and an equalisation strap is suggested to halve the load across the rails when you are using them.

Consider placing them at the rear instead, since you already have a winch?

I do have an equalization strap, however my main thing is, as I said.. I'd like to double up on the winch just in case I'm ever badly bogged and my 9000Lb winch wont be enough.. so I can run a snatch block to "double" the winch power. At the back I can use the tow bar for recoveries.. so seems redundant to me

Hey mate, I've got a couple of these to put on as well on my d22. There is a couple of captive nuts in the chassis rails at the front that can be used. However the recovery hooks hole spacing does not line up. To make them fit you need a piece of angle iron to make up an adapter. I plan to do mine like the red ones in this thread:

http://navara.asia/showthread.php?t=9452&page=3

Hope this helps...

Yes I did notice them, but as you said they don't align.. which is annoying.. however that angle looks pretty good. Looks like a decent way of doing them.. however, I'll need some luck to come across some 65x65x10 angle offcuts!!

Thanks for your replies.

9,000lb is 4300Kg which should drag even my 3T Navara out of a bog. I had considered upgrading to 12,000lb (5300Kg) since with our new caravan we top the scales at 5.5T, but when you think about it, how often do you go 4WDing with a 2.5T caravan on your ass?

9,000lb is 4300Kg which should drag even my 3T Navara out of a bog.

That is 9000lb in ideal conditions and changes depending on how much rope is let out. Doubling up with a snatch block is a great idea when you can be bothered

Halves the speed but doubles the power and is much easier on your winch and battery

True, but the other reason why I don't upgrade my own - I am never going to winch my car vertically upwards. It'll always be along the ground. That means my winch will never pull 4.3T anyway - or even 3T.

The idea of using a pulley (sometimes called a snatch block) isn't without merit. I have one too - tree protector connects to winch extension connects to snatch block which the winch cable runs around and the hook connects back to the recovery point. It's only really useful for self-recovery - if you try pulling someone out of the muck with your car even with just the single cable, your car will get dragged along by the 4.3T winch. Whack a pulley in and you'll never hold your ground.

Be aware that your winch even at reduced load will still draw around 100A, maybe as much as 150A. Your battery can deliver that power no troubles, but not for extended periods of time. Your alternator can't deliver its rated 130A at idle or low RPM, the engine has to be singing (the manual specifies >105A at 2500rpm and >122A at 5000rpm).

It's only really useful for self-recovery

That is what I need this for. I'm mostly 4wd'ing alone.. so self-recovery is what I need. I only started 4wd recently and I don't have any mates with similar interests...

Be aware that your winch even at reduced load will still draw around 100A, maybe as much as 150A. Your battery can deliver that power no troubles, but not for extended periods of time. Your alternator can't deliver its rated 130A at idle or low RPM, the engine has to be singing (the manual specifies >105A at 2500rpm and >122A at 5000rpm).

I guess that is why your supposed to be trying to "drive" when you'r getting winched anyway! Try to grain traction AND rev the engine.

I guess that is why your supposed to be trying to "drive" when you'r getting winched anyway! Try to grain traction AND rev the engine.

You should keep the engine rpm up but be careful applying drive to the wheels! if youre stuck it will often result in jolting on the winch which isnt good

I do have an equalization strap, however my main thing is, as I said.. I'd like to double up on the winch just in case I'm ever badly bogged and my 9000Lb winch wont be enough.. so I can run a snatch block to "double" the winch power. At the back I can use the tow bar for recoveries.. so seems redundant to me

Yes I did notice them, but as you said they don't align.. which is annoying.. however that angle looks pretty good. Looks like a decent way of doing them.. however, I'll need some luck to come across some 65x65x10 angle offcuts!!

Thanks for your replies.
You could try a metal scrapyard or metal recycling place. I went to a local scrapyard and they had heaps of lengths of 60 x 60 x 10mm angle lying around and they were happy to cut me off 2 metres when I needed some to make towbar mounts... Cost me $10.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I will definitely try and hunt down a scrapyard in my area and have a look there!! a small angle from bunnings (8mm thick) costs nearly $20!! $10 for 2 meters sounds pretty good.

Latest posts

Back