Towing a boat

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSmeg

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive got the 08 d22 str and i would like to know from you guys that own boats and i guess both motor versions of the d22 str , what size ya boat is and how well your car goes and what type of mods you did too make it tow better, the max distance i have too travel will be around 600-700k's and through the perth hills when i go to the west coast and 400 when i go south, so its not really gonna be flat

Cheers

I've got an 03 STR 3.0l and a 16ft fiberglass boat, and towing is fairly straight forward. that said fuel consumption is pretty bad when towing and hills can be a little slow. I've had to drop back to third on steep long hills. you can definitely tell the boat is there, but I've got 265/75R16 tyres and that makes it harder to get off the line.

Have a 2010 D22 and I tow a 5mtr plate boat with all the fuel gear, dogs, kids and wife around 800km round trip once a month. The boat/trailer would weigh at least 1,200kgs fully loaded up + all the other crap that is tossed in the back of the tray.
Fuel economy is around 15L/100km on average and it tows it fine. Can easily sit at legal speeds etc. Don't find that I drop much speed at all on the hills really, 4th gear still pulls very hard up some of the steeper hills here in NSW.

Only thing that made a huge difference to pulling power for me was a 2.5" custom exhaust from the turbo back.

I've got an allycraft 4.2 metre tinny on an 'Australian' brand trailer, gross mass of boat, motor, trailer, fuel and gear is about 750kg and It tows very easily. I do sometimes need to change down from 5th gear to 4th gear on steeper hills but not often. Fuel economy is about 12-13lt per 100km.

funny think i thought just my navara drank fuel when towing

i also tow my F/Glass 5.2mtr straight run no hills etc
tows its fine just sucks juice

I have had loaded car trailers and box trailers loaded with concrete behind my Nav and have never gone over 14L per 100km's.

Biggest load was a loaded car trailer towed from Sydney to Maitland with A EH on the back.

Trailer and car I swear were over 3T. The trailer was the most over engineered trailer I have ever come across.

Yeah but in fairness Dave your Flintstones mobile's economy is dependent on how hard your feet work, so on the days you're getting 14's it just means your legs were working harder.

I should mention I also had 3 other people in the car. The floor section is cut out so we had and extra 4 feet power.

Na on the hills I just keep the revs up.

Weekend just gone... Towed my old boys 21ft Seaswirl Striper (American Boat) 2.8T fully loaded with fuel etc from Brissy to Mooloolaba... Plus 4 peeps in the car...

Just over 300km = Just over Half a tank of Juice, Used prolly 33ish Litres and i think it has a 65L tank... Not bad for a big load..

Sits on 100km at just under 2600 RPM... Plenty of towing power there, Cruised up most hills in 4th, Did have to drop to 3rd for one steep hill!

Locked into 4x4 to pull her out of the ramp, Just crawls out with ease..

3' Exhaust with High flow cat no muffler, Front Mount Cooler, Snorkel with modded smooth intake, Catch Can, EGR + Swirl Mod with 31/10.5/15's on...

Latest posts

Back