Tracks, the best state forests and NPs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
I'm by no means a local up here on the Gold Coast, and I haven't had much luck pinpointing which local state forest or national park is best for 4x4 tracks. Some local knowledge would be great.

So please, for the area you call home, no matter where that may be, impart your knowledge of the best 4x4 tracks. Rutted, steep, rocky, water-filled, muddy, any challenge. Points of interest, scenic drives. I (and I'm sure others) bought a 4x4 to see more, so interesting places only a 4x4 can access would be great too.

From what I've seen of Mt Disappointment State Forest since I got my Nav, my favourite area is the tracks around the summit, they're mildly rutted and rocky and the cold air feels great in summer. It's 66km north of Melbourne on the Hume and practically my backyard, however it might be best to stay out of it for at least 12 months due to the fires (trees falling still, deep ash-mud, etc). For the daring (or stupid?) it's amazing in there, you can see forever all around you through the former trees.

I'm hoping to get up to Tallarook State Forest next time I'm back in Victoria with the Navara to see if it's worth the effort as it's relatively close to home and hasn't been burnt. Anybody been?

Mt Torbreck near Eildon is great in winter if you're into the muddy, snowy steep track kind of thing, it has good snow whenever there's a dump on the resorts. There's relatively few restrictions on where you can go during winter, though that may have been burnt too now, not sure.

Send 'em in.

Hi All, being in Hervey Bay I do spend as much time as I can on Fraser. Times being what they are it is getting harder and harder to justify the expensive barge from River Heads and I don't want to add a hwy drive to my trips to go to Inskip just to save a few $$$. Call me lazy.

Everybody and their dog has been over to Fraser so I would be preaching to the converted anyway. The place I have come to love is Kinkuna National Park just south of Bundy. I haven't had a chance to explore it all but the camping close to the beach is fantastic. I followed the route in the South East Queensland Dirty Weekends book that goes in from the Goodwood Road. The entry to the part is gravel and a washboard for a few k's then it is sand driving most of the way. The sand can be like baby powder if it hasn't rained in a while - letting a few more psi out of my tires than I normally would got me through easy enough.

I did get hopelessly bogged on one of the bush tracks. There was a washed out log bridge and the d22 sank. After a few hours of digging and a snatch from a good natured passer by and I was sorted (I now have a winch - it was a great way to convince the wife that I needed one).

But it was worth it for the beach camping. It was really quiet when I was there and had the pick of sites. I'll be going back again and again.

Back