Trailer Brake Information

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunv8

Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone wired up their own trailer brakes. If so can you tell me what colour wire you tapped into on the brake pedal, and where you ran the cable from inside cab to trailer plug? Cheers

Hi,

The power is actually in your plug connection..

Number 5 (Blue) positive pacifically for electric brakes
Number 3 (white) or brown negative..

So it is in your plug at the back of your car...

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks Mate, Appreciate that but not really what I was asking. Im installing a remote controller with 4 wires.
1. Brake Signal
2. Earth
3. To trailer Brake (trailer plug)
4 12v +

I was going to tap into the brake switch under the dash for # 1, earth to body for # 2, run a wire to trailer plug for # 3 and run a lead to the batt terminal for # 4.

What I was hoping is if someone knew exactly which wire to tap into for brake signal.

Although reading your comment above, Im thinking of running a 2 core wire to trailer plug and getting signal from brake lights in trailer plug?

Is that feasable or should it be at the brake pedal?

Thanks again.

If you mean the brake controller - it's not difficult. There's a switch on the brake pedal - don't know the colours in the D22, but it's the red wire you're after in the D40. That goes to the brake controller input. Use heavy cable to go to the rear - and start the whole thing with a circuit breaker. Consider an ignition-on relay if you don't want the controller to have power while the ignition is off.

At the rear, this cable goes to pin 5 of a 7 or 12 pin flat plug. If you're towing over 2T, put the breakaway monitor cable in at the same time (can be thin wire, doesn't carry a heavy load at all). I think my breakaway monitor is on pin 9 of my 12 pin plug.

Although reading your comment above, Im thinking of running a 2 core wire to trailer plug and getting signal from brake lights in trailer plug?

Is that feasable or should it be at the brake pedal?

The way I suggested would work.

Or ^^^^^ As above mentioned by Tony Will work also.

It is up to you.

Both methods will give you the same end result Power to your trailer brakes.

Last edited:
I don't get how Geoff above means it. For brake controller in car you run wire #3 to pin 5 in the trailer socket on your towbar.

this should help and just use a test light to find which wire becomes active when the peddle is pressed

Attachments

• faq051_hh_500.jpg
    faq051_hh_500.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,475
Driver side behind the brake booster there is a grommet just be careful not to damage any of the existing wires. A handy idea is to push through some 5 or 7 core so you will have spare wires for other accessories.

Latest posts

Back