Transfer box jammed when in 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broddur

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a 2000 D22 td25, with non working 4x4.

When i select 4H or 4L the transfer box seems to get jammed after 1 or 2 meters.
Everything is fine in 2H with the hubs locked, so i guess the chain part of the transfer box is fine.

Even if i have the transmission in neutral, and transfer box in 4H or 4L and hubs in free, roling down a small hill, the transfer box locks up actually blocking the rear wheels so they are sliding.

When the transfer box gets jammed the i can't select 2H, because the leaver is stuck, i have to back up to get the tension of transfer box.

What could it be? selector linkage? bent fork inside tranfer box? jammed between hi and lo gears? or what?

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like there might be either broken teeth or something jammed in the output shaft of the transfer case. It's possible that it's the selector that's bent or broken. The output shaft should turn when in 2H with the front hubs locked (motion supplied by the front wheels). This means it's not the front diff, or axles, or CVs, it's definitely inside the TF and likely to be in the selector.

4WD is engaged by sliding a pawl under the gear that the chain is resting on. That seems like the part that's not happy.

Best bet is a visual inspection, but that's where I'd look first.

I had a problem a bit like this many years ago on a Toyota that I bought cheap. It turned out to be different diff ratios front and back?

i am wondering if this is caused by lack of use. i only just engaged my 2013 model into 4 x 4 h after 7,000klms on the clock to find that driving slow into the driveway the rear wheels felt like i had the hand brake on .
what i did was i took the car for a few drives in 4 x 4 mode and now all is fine. maybe as mentioned lack of use was the cause [ dry componants ]

I will be back home in a week or so, then i will have a look at the transfer box.

Can the diff ratio cause the problem when the front hubs are in "free"

Can the diff ratio cause the problem when the front hubs are in "free"
no it can't.
however check the hubs are running free.
also check that the front driveshaft turns freely in case front diff is seizing causing the whole drivetrain to lock up.

I finaly got around to check what is going on under the vehicle.
As it turned out, the front diff is broken.
My car is 2000 (chrome bumper) 2.5 tdi with manual transmission. what ratio is the diff?
Will a diff from a later D22 (plastic bumper) fit? same ratio and everything?

check your build plate, in the engine bay..it will say hg4.3 or some number and letter code.
the numbers are your diff ratio.

many nissans had varying diff ratios, so its best to check here.
then go hunting for one.

a d22 diff will work, obviously.
other diffs from the d22 famil will work, like pathfinders etc...untill they changes to the d40 style types.
i have a d21 diff sat next to my d22 spare and they look identical...but thats up to you to make the call on.

next thing is cv mounts there was 6 both and 5 bolt diffs as far as ive run into, just make sure your flange is the same on the new diff.

good luck!

Back