Transfer Case and Gear Box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 2004 D22 Navara STR 4WD with a ZD30. Just recently changed the dif oils and I was wanting to change the gb and transfer case fluids as well (mainly because I just bought the vehicle a couple of months ago and have no idea when it was last done, if ever).

I know he recommended fluids are:
Manual transmission
gear oil
FS5R30A
4WD 5.1L
API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85 only

Transfer fluid TX10A 2.2L
Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent or API
GL-4

So going off this I can fill both with the same fluids, as both require GL-4 and the same viscosity I believe. SuperCrap are running a special on nulon fluids at the moment so I will probs buy one of these, the one I am looking at is their Semi-synthetic 75W-90 Gear oil which is rated a GL-5, here is the link http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ge...anual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.UpAVLMSVMXw

My question is can you run GL 5 in place of GL 4 and 75W-90 in place of 75w-85, I know the higher the number the higher % of anti-wear friction modifiers it has in it or something. I'm sure I read somewhere that its a bad idea to use a higher GL than recommended but cant be sure. If thats the case would I be better off getting this GL4 http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ge...anual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.UpAXEcSVMXw

I only want the semi-synthetic as they are apparently better and seeing as Ill likely change them once I may as well pay the extra 6 bucks a bottle to get a better quality oil.

Sorry if this all convoluted but I am just not sure what I should buy.

Cheers,
Shorty

Last edited:
So you say you can run 75W-90 GL5 rated oil both the gearbox and the transfer case? Bryan how much fluid did your gb take? I was reading somewhere that the recommended about 5.1L was actually different to what you could fit in, nissane released a bulletin on it or something? I read it in this thread. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=23664

I keep reading conflicting things, some people use GL5 and then other say dont use GL5 only use GL4.

Don't put GL 5 in there, it won't shift well, the box in these is engineered for the older GL 4 spec.
You can use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the transfer case but not in the gearbox, my advice, buy enough GL 4 spec oil to do both ( I used Castrol SAE 80 Smooth shift and very happy ) and don't worry about semi synthetic as you will not be just changing it once if you wish to maintain your vehicle properly, I don't recall the intervals but would expect it to be around 40, 000 km or roughly every 1.5 to 2.5 years depending on the severity of use.

Ended up buying SAE 80 Smooth Shift Manual Gearbox and Transaxle Oil as virtually no where stocks gear oils, it was basically a choice between Nulon and the Castrol VMX-M 75W-85. Chose Nulon as it was on special and I would rather support an Aussie brand, hopefully it wont let me down

Latest posts

Back