trouble starting in the cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nav06

Reaction score
hi all, my d40 struggles to start in cold conditions. I have a fairly new battery. could it be my glowplugs? any ideas??

Glow plugs would be one of the first places I'd look, but before I did that, I'd connect another car battery up in place of the one you have there.

When it's cold, batteries that have some internal damage don't perform as well.

thats what i thought. i was down perisher on the weekend and every morning it struggled and blew smoke until it warmed up a bit. are glowplugs expensive to replace?

I don't know much about the D40's mate but make sure there isn't a fuse blown and the plug is connected properly.You can drop into an auto elec and get them to do a crank test on the barrery to see if it has dropped a cell

They weren't cheap on my D22 but in hindsight I think I paid too much) about $50 each from memory). One of mine packed it in with about 115000 kms on the clock and it blew the fuse (30 amp i think). I had to drive for a week in the middle of winter with no glow plugs functioning at all. I threw my wheat bag in the microwave for a few minutes and put it on top of the engine and closed the hood for a few minutes. This started the nav no worries even on the iciest mornings before work until my new plugs arrived ;)

Latest posts

Back