Trouble with the ECU warning light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Army87

Reaction score
Hi there dose anyone else have this problem, a orange warning light comes on and I believe it's called the ECU warning light, when it comes on it makes my d40 sluggish and loses a heap of power it says in the drivers manual to drive over 70kph continual until the warning light disserpers, this dose work but this will happen at least once a week I've been told its normal for disels to do this on occasions by a mechanic but why is it happining so much. It's really frustrating me and any tips or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks Aaron 2010 stx turbo disel 50,000km

Hi there dose anyone else have this problem, a orange warning light comes on and I believe it's called the ECU warning light, when it comes on it makes my d40 sluggish and loses a heap of power it says in the drivers manual to drive over 70kph continual until the warning light disserpers, this dose work but this will happen at least once a week I've been told its normal for disels to do this on occasions by a mechanic but why is it happining so much. It's really frustrating me and any tips or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks Aaron 2010 stx turbo disel 50,000km

Its called a MIL---Malfunction Indicator light

get an autoelectrician or dealer to read the stored codes and pending codes

Drive it like you stole it more often. Need to burn all the crap out of the DPF.

Are you sure you are talking about the Check Engine warning light? What you describe there seems more like the DPF (ie Diesel Particulate Filter) warning light.....this one you do have to get up to speed to put the light out as per the handbook. The DPF issue has been discussed heaps on this forum so it might pay to do a search on that.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete
yes your right it was the DPF warning light but I'm still unsure as to why it comes on so often
I will have a poke around the forum and see if I can find out a little bit more about this problem of mine. Thanks for the feedback!!
Cheers Aaron

Thanks Pete
yes your right it was the DPF warning light but I'm still unsure as to why it comes on so often
I will have a poke around the forum and see if I can find out a little bit more about this problem of mine. Thanks for the feedback!!
Cheers Aaron

Could be a number of things Aaron....you've picked up crappy diesel, your MAF is dirty, your blowing a bit of soot etc etc etc. Your DPF seems to be working like it should ie it burns off if you get over 80 kph for about 15 minutes. Check the turbo vacuum hoses....one of mine found it way onto the exhaust maniforl area and melted a small hole in it....this caused a drop in power and it didn't take long for the DPF to light up. I posted a photo of this problem to the forum a couple of years ago but can't remember where it is now and I can't find the photo on my 'puter to upload it again.

As above. Give it a run for about half an hour at 80km/h to make sure it's well and truly cleaned the DPF out. Get some electrical contact cleaner and remove the MAFS (rear of the air pipe just outside the air filter box) and spray inside it (do NOT try sticking anything inside it, and don't treat it roughly - treat it like it's worth $400).

It's also a good idea to have a look at the turbocharger actuator. If memory serves, the early 2010 models had vacuum tubes which can become loose or have holes developed (as Pete22 suggests) and the later ones had faulty actuators. Have someone rev the engine from idle to 1500rpm while you watch the little arm that goes from the gold, circular actuator into the turbo itself. It should move regularly and freely.

Latest posts

Back