Tub Liners beware.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemini5

Reaction score
I was having trouble stopping water leaking into the rear tray and decided to seal it ( standard problem with D40 trays).
On removing the standard plastic tub liner installed from new and only around 6 weeks old a I noticed a lot of swarf from where the importers had drilled holes for the fitting of the standard tray hard top had been left laying in the tray and they were already starting to cause surface rust on the paint work.
I would hate to thing what the state of the tray would have been like after 12 months.

I have since sold the tub liner and treated the tray interior with black spray on underbody protector and it has come up well.

Be aware you never know what's under the tub liner.

Hi Gemini
I found the same crap on mine under the tie down rails. I didnt have anything else installed but found the same rusty crap under the rails .Not really sure where it came from actually

have also heard from a few guys that sand likes to find it's way in there and rub away the paint.

d22 owner installed tubliner and 12months latert pulled it out cause i had enough of it. found 1.2 of bribie still under there and surface rust from it rubbing fro 12months. purchased a spray on tubliner and di it myself. came up the goods and its tough aswell

Yep Raptor (spray on) liner is the go - seems to be far and away the best brand - I used a very low pressure (25psi) and sprayed about 20cm from the tub and it came up "Magic" - beautiful texture - just like a bought one - only about 1/4 of the price. I've had it in about 8 months now and it has chipped in a few places - but I do throw a lot of steel crap in the back - but generally really good. I'm going to respray my ute in a few months and will redo it then.

I dont get the appeal of drop-in tub liners when the vehicle is new (mine is spray-on), I understand that people want to protect the tub to improve resale etc, why not just bash the shit out of it over the years then put in a new liner just before you sell it? Lots of hassles with rust/wear as you guys have mentioned.

I don't get the appeal of any liner at all. It's ute, who gives a shit if the inside of the tub gets scratched, shows the thing was used as a ute, its not like a pristine tub is going to enhance resale by that much.

did you use a special gun to spray it? I imagine you would need to.

I think the DIY kits just roll it on with a foam roller?

I want to protect mine Krafty, because of the canopy etc it aint ever getting a load of gravel in it, it's for storage now. Much better way to protect against rust as well due to a bit of beach work.

KraftyPg said:
I don't get the appeal of any liner at all. It's ute, who gives a shit if the inside of the tub gets scratched, shows the thing was used as a ute, its not like a pristine tub is going to enhance resale by that much.

Exactly what I think. The most I'll do is a rubber floor mat. Just to keep things a tad more still.

Spray on liners such as raptor and few home shop brands like mine require the use of a shutz gun and low air pressure. I used this with about 70-80psi and it came out mint. Let it dry in the full sun for a few weeks and it was solid. To be honest OT has gotten better over time and is really solid now. Only cost me about $200 including tape and drop sheets to mask the ute

i want a good surface to attach drawers ect and to tidy it up a bit b4 canopy goes on
utes a year old now and tub has plenty of scratces ect
if it was staying as a ute i wouldnt be worried bout tray apperance

I was thinking about taking out the liner. All the usual thoughts, water underneath, the thing fretting and chaifing away.
After reading this thread it's coming out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pulled mine along time ago - the amount of shit under it was unbelievable! It was also an old model Aunger that reduced tub space dramatically. I cut the top off it and screwed that into place to protect the top edge of the tub - but now I want a spray on. Where can I buy a kit from?

Took mine out today. Certainly more room especially just forward of the wheel arch. Had five nice stainless hex screws holding it in across the back. However it would appear that there should be another two each side on the sides that were never fitted. Over time the little double panel where the bolt should of been would end up with water floating around in there.
Did keep the tail gate section inplace, easy to seal along the top and leave it air at the bottom.

where did you blokes get the DIY spray liner? Had a search on the net and they seem to be quite popular in the states.

Latest posts

Back