turbo gone?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara_noob

Reaction score
Hey guys, just noticed the most annoying noise coming from my motor, been searching the threads and it seems to be a little common not sure but. Drove into work this morn, approx 25k's and noticed as the motor got warmer the noise got worse, its not a whistle, more like a metallic whine, i tried to capture the noise on my phone, but its not as prominent as the car is cold. Seems to sound worse when the clutch is engaged to change gears and then goes back to a soft whine when the clutch is released. i am hoping its not a turbo and the car is due for a service Wednesday.

I tried moving the white fan behind the radiator, mine has almost no resistance and certainly does not feel like there is a "brake" or compression behind it like you would normally expect to feel.

video is here, you cant see anything but i think you can hear the noise.
noise | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

any help please would be great

The braking force of the clutch of your radiator fan increases with engine heat. When the engine is cold, the clutch won't engage and won't cool the radiator core down, allowing heat to build up faster in it.

Easy way to tell if it's your turbo: remove the pipe and give the spindle a wiggle. Spin the compressor. It should not wobble at all, it should spin freely and smoothly.

If the noise response to clutch movement, it's possibly something in the clutch/flywheel area, or even in the gearbox.

It could just as easily be bearings in the alternator, or a water pump - you'd have to listen to the bits with a stethoscope to be sure.

Thanks Tony.

Lucky i have a mate who can drive me to work tomorrow, to late at night to go fiddling in the dark and a full day at work tomorrow so i cant check these things, just weird how it only started today, car only has 74k on the clock, so not much for a diesel. thought better to leave it for the mechanic rather then drive and risk something happening, be curious to see what it could be, i did get her bogged in a deepish mud hole, could mud have gotten into the transfer case or gear box?

Mud could have entered there, or the diff. Rear breathers aren't as high up as they could be. If the turbo's good, turn the engine over and listen to the alternator/water pump etc before taking it for a drive. If you suspect the diff etc, you'd have to get some oil first, so you can replace what's in there (the sooner the better).

You can actually kill a turbo really fast. Drive the car very, very hard, making sure you're in boost range a lot then switch the engine off. Don't idle it while the turbo cools, just power it down, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Repeat this exercise as often as you can.

You'd be amazed at how fast the burnt oil in the turbo bearings will destroy the turbo. Turbochargers need to cool down before the engine is switched off.

Hey Noob I realy don't think the mud would be an issue . The depth and the amount of time you were in you realy should not have sucked any mud or water in .( Even if it was 12 feet deep and full of crocodiles ) how ever as has been stated I would be checking alternator. And yes prob best to have it checked . Good luck

Last edited:
Change your fan belt - they are ribbed on the back & that style of belt can get up a bit of a whine when worn. It may not be your problem but from what I can hear that's where I'd be starting.

While the belt is off check alternator, water pump etc for excessive play too.

hey nava noob. my bro in law was with me on sat when we went 4wding and he said he noticed a noise after you hit the bog hole. he said it was a fan belt or alternator with mud stuck on it somewhere. check these aswell mite just need a simple clean and its solved. but i cna say there was a rubbing noise on sat after hitting the boghole with crocs in it. ey you never know mite be a piranah head or something stuck on you belts :D

goodluck

i hope its just mud mate, it was like concrete to wash off, so im praying the mechanic doesn't find anything tomorrow, will let you all know, cause i may need to pass around a hat for a new turbo :(

Mechanic said its the Air con compressor, could be mud in the bearing, or a whole new compressor, will have to wait, can't afford the repairs at the moment, he took the belt of it for now, so at least it's not making the noise.

You can actually kill a turbo really fast. Drive the car very, very hard, making sure you're in boost range a lot then switch the engine off. Don't idle it while the turbo cools, just power it down, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Repeat this exercise as often as you can.

You'd be amazed at how fast the burnt oil in the turbo bearings will destroy the turbo. Turbochargers need to cool down before the engine is switched off.

This exact thing worries me. Especially like on days like today. Just got back from a fire. Going to it i was in a wee bit of a hurry, got there and switch her straight off and up the back to the fire. Hopefully not too much damage, last maybe minute was only 30km/h ish but still.

Mitch

Latest posts

Back