Turbo leaking oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulschuit81

Reaction score
I noticed a bit of oil under intake of turbo and a bit under where air feeds into engine after the inter cooler , I have been told that the seals can't be replaced in these turbos , is there anywhere else oil could be coming from to be seen there? Can these turbos be overhauled ? Is it possible that airfilter is so bad that not enough air is getting in and the vacuum is pulling oil through, it has done 108000 , d40 2009 stx

Some one else will have to provide the info on the turbo as I don't know them at all. But, if the engine has been overfilled with oil, the excess can make it's way into the intake/ turbo and weep out. It's not common, but it's the easiest place to start (i.e. look at dipstick).

Good luck.

Hey mate it sounds like the blow by feed from the top of the engine.. fitting a catch can will help the oil in the pipe work. If you search the forum you can find alot of into and how fit one fir d40s

+1 on the blow-by & catch can solution.

If you're seeing oil OUTSIDE the turbo or piping on the pressure side (anywhere between the turbocharger outlet and the intake manifold on the right-hand side, so this includes the intercooler) then you may have a boost leak and the blow-by oil is making its way out through that leak.

It is possible that the turbocharger has a leak though - there are seals that can develop leaks, there are oil feed and return lines that come up from the engine.

Where precisely is the oil coming from? Can we see a pic?

got the same problem with my ZD30 earlier this year - I installed a catch can - problem fix
however still can see small trace - but thats from the gunk accrued during the years

if your oil level is to high, the oil wont drain out of the turbo well, it will pool in there and work its way into the compressor side of the intake and then work its way everywhere else.
Same if you fit a BB turbo without an oil restriction - to much oil pools.

if your seals are on the way out, it will do that anyway, regardless of oil level/pressure - this is when you need a new turbo.

catch can - this stops the intake sucking in oil from the oil/vapor that is pulled from the PCV valve from the top of the engine.

Take of your piping, clean it all out..dry it all out properly and then reconnect it.
Install an oil catch can, or oil vapor catchment system.
Drive the car for a while, regularly check for residue.

Its not uncommon to see an oily residue after a while - but excess is something to be concerned slightly about.

if your still getting oil in the pipes after this, your seals are properly leaking and its time to decide
1) keep driving it - it will properly last a long time, until the seal is gone and the turbine shaft clips the outside wall and eats itself up and throws metallic pieces into your engine, causing it to die.
2) replace turbo / recondition turbo

I have been told that the turbo can't have new seals put in a buy a new one , is this true?

Yes the vnt turbos have a journal bearing and apparently it can not be rebuilt.. not too sure why maybe it has something to do with making all thw vanes meet up again in the correct position other then that I dont see why it couldn't be rebuilt.

I'd drop the level (if it hasn't been yet), clean the area up and watch it for a short bit (do you have a catch can?)

Last edited:
Nissan dealer overfilled my D40 both times they serviced it.
I fitted the catch can, put s/s shavings wool in it and it still let a bit of oil through.
If you pull the air box to turbo inlet tube off the turbo you and look back inside the tube you will see where the pcv inlet into that tube drops oil vapor in.

No don't have a catch can I spoke to mechanic and he recommended a catch can straight away, said he has fitted heaps to navaras , why are they not there from factory or why put oil back right ontop of turbo?

You can't run the hose from the top of the engine to the pressure side of the turbo (if that's what you mean). The turbocharger will pump air into the crankcase.

The oil from the PCV won't worry the turbocharger a great deal. It's more of a concern that it coats the intercooler and mixes with soot from the EGR causing a black gooey mess to sit in the intake manifold. Blocking the EGR and fitting a catch can will mostly alleviate this.

So what you're doing is venting the crankcase breather directly? This will mean some oil will land on the road. A casual inspection will easily reveal it, and since it's illegal to do it's an easy one for a pissed-off copper to nail you for (and the fine is huge). If you don't draw attention to yourself they'll never find out. When you clean your car and find the oil on the tailgate, this is where it will come from.

Latest posts

Back