Turbo noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundi

Reaction score
Hey ;-) I have a turbo diesel D22 Navara, the turbo has never made much noise but lately when you first start driving it will scream and the more revs you do the louder it will do it but once you have driven it for a while it will be back to normal making little noise as possible I'm thinking the turbo could be on its way out so if anyone one has any tips or knows what it could be please let me know cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully it's not the turbo, but a boost leak. It happens - it'll sound like a screeching sound, or like a balloon that you've inflated and you're letting the air out slowly. Boost leaks in the D22 usually come from the intercooler which is known for its less-than-stellar joins, but could easily be a burst or loose hose - in all of these cases, look for some oil expelled where it shouldn't be. EGR tube is also a culprit, commonly leaking both boost and exhaust. Look for the tell-tale black soot.

It's easy to check the turbo. Clean everything around it down (cold engine) and then remove the hose from the turbo intake. Stick a (clean) finger in and wiggle the impeller. It shouldn't really move side-to-side. Rotation should feel smooth although it should be a little sluggish when cold. Inspect it as best you can for damage to the tips of the visible blades. Look inside the hose you've removed - there should be a small amount of oil thanks to the PCV, but there should be NO metal shavings/dust/powder.

Now pop the outlet hose off and look inside it for metal. If you see any here, it means it's coming from your turbocharger - the bearings are stuffed and since the impeller's hit the housing, the entire unit is toast. That's when you call Forefront Industries and grab a billet turbo (hopefully they have one for your model engine).

Good luck!

I'd say boost leak most likely too. If it was the turbo on the way out it usually wouldn't change hot or cold. Sounds like a gasket that is perishing a bit, but when the components heat up the metal expands enough to stop the leak. I'd check inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets, turbo to manifold, dump pipe and egr gaskets. If you make up some soapy water in a spray bottle, then start the car cold and spray around those areas, any bubbles indicates a leak.

Let us know how you go...

Latest posts

Back