Turbo pipe upgrade problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Gday all! Currently up at Thornton fishing with the old man, on the way up, my turbo hard pipe shot out of the silicone join under about 17PSI of boost up a hill. Got the pipe back in easy and took it easy on the boost after that.

My question is, as the Plasmaman pipes are smooth, im guessing when the silicone join gets hot and expands a bit, the pipe pops out under 15+ PSI of boost. This has happened twice now. Any suggestions? Its got proper clamps on it with proper bolts but it still happens occasionally....

The three times its happened its been when its had to rev at the 3000 mark up steep hills and the boost hits up near 20PSI.

My old man suggested taking the pipe off and roughening up the end of the pipe surface with rough sandpaper then giving it a good blow off and clean to ditch the steel shards so the inside of the silicone join has more to grip to....

I think your old man has a good idea.

You might also consider cleaning the pipe and the inside of the hose with something like methylated spirits, to remove any residue from either. If you don't have a catch can, the inside of the hose will be a little oily beyond where it was clamped.

Yeah i have a provent can. Its doing its job. Last time it happened, i cleaned the whole inside to get rid of any blow by that might be lubricating the pipe allowing it to pop out under boost, so yes i should probably use metho. Good idea!

Might sand the end of the pipe and double clamp each joint point with more of the good bolt clamps.

Lucky it happened on a beautiful lookout point about 10kms out of Thornton haha. Made it less annoying to fix in 36 degree heat

i would guess the flare on the pipe end isn't big enough. also make sure the clamp doesn't sit on the flare.

No flare on the pipe itself.
well thats the problem, cheap arse manufacture! :rant:
you will need to get them flared. i'm surprised they stayed on as long as they did.
poor mans flare is to get the pliers and bend the lip of the pipe out. crude but ok. otherwise make a flaring tool.

when i did my ic on the other 4x4 the non flared pipes lasted all of 15 seconds before it blew off.

Good point. I must say, im a tad disappointed in Plasmaman. They are semi reputable.

Might have a go at flaring it myself. As crude as it might look, it will be hidden by the join. Very good call! Thanks mate! Much appreciated

How long ago did you fit yours?? Going by the photo on the website they have a small round on the end.. It concerns me now as i've just ordered one.

How handy are you with a welder? Could you run a nice bead around it?

Brownie

In the pic it has a rib around the ends?

Attachments

• plazma man.JPG
    plazma man.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 97
Strange that it doesn't have the flare, I have one on mine but I Los run two clamps. Might be worth getting hold if plazmaman and letting them know.

mine has a flare on both ends, maybe yours slipped through Quality control?

Give them a call and you might get a new one ;)

way back in the day when we used chrome tube for radiator hoses we would either cut slits into the tube like threads or even drill 6mm holes. When the hose went over the holes or slits etc we would make sure that was where the clamp went and it would squeeze a bit of the hose into the hole or slit and would keep it in place

Im having the exact same problem. Mine has been on 2weeks and come off 3times. Broke 2 clamps by over tightening. Swapped to heavy duty clamp with a bolt and it still slides down. Not impressed at al $168 for somthing that doesnt work

What sort of clamps did you use?

If the worm drive type maybe consider the "T" bolt style clamps. I think that's what there called, have a wide stainless band and can give some serious clamping pressure.

Back