Turbo squeal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
my nav has developed a very loud high pitched squeal when it hits 2000rpm and above, i originally thought it was a fan belt but after reading a few other threads im now thinking its the turbo, but Ive noticed it only does it when the engine is cold so i don't let the revs get that high until its warmed up, is this something to worry about?

My 06 3.0lt D22 did what sounds like the same thing. Exactly the same symptoms, i thought it was the belts slipping as well.

Mine did come and go a little bit and by the time it got to the point of doing it all the time with out fail, and i was ready to fix it, it got written off.

What i have since learned is that it can be from a leaking EGR gasket on the passenger side, i had my last nav and this one blocked on the other side, but its probably worth looking at both side just to eliminate that.
Personally in the end i thought it was my turbo, especially with all the things you read about the 3lt turbos blowing up.

I wouldn't be driving it if it is coming from the turbo.
Noises from the turbo are normally metal on metal contact which means it is making metal filings for your engine to eat. Pop the inlet pipe off the turbo and have a look if there are any visible signs of damage to the impeller or housing.
Cheers
Jake

I would have thought egr gasket too, if you have blocked it just make sure the bolts are still tight.
If that's all good definitely look at the Turbo. At least being an 09 if it does let go the intercooler will catch it.

its been doing it a fair while before i blocked the egr and still doin it after

Could even be the manifold to head or manifold to Turbo gaskets. Doing it cold but not hot sort of leans towards a gasket because the metal expands and seals the gap from when it's cold. That doesn't mean it's not the Turbo though, but I would expect it to do it all the time if it was. Just check all the bolts on and around the Turbo and manifold

I've heard of the crimping on the top-mount intercoolers releasing and letting boost pressure out - it could equally be the EGR gaskets, or the clamps around the charge air hoses on too tight and pinching the hoses, or there's an actual split in the hose.

Is it a shrieking sound like the squeal of metal brakes as a train goes past, or is it a high pitched raspberry like when you let the air out of a balloon by stretching the opening?

If it's the shriek, I'd look at that turbo. Otherwise, it's a boost leak.

have you checked the four small allen key (i think) type bolts at rear of turbo.

I have spoke about that before as i had one fall completely out, but they make a different sound altogether. When they are loose or out it sounds like you have blown a hose.

Also im not even sure if the turbo on the YD 2.5 has them like the turbo on the ZD30

Could even be the manifold to head or manifold to Turbo gaskets. Doing it cold but not hot sort of leans towards a gasket because the metal expands and seals the gap from when it's cold.

+1.

Had two customers vehicles doing it, and my own. Warped exhaust manifold, and it'll be leaking past the manifold gasket at cylinder number 1. Remove the manifold and get the surface machined, and fit a new gasket.

Cheers.

simple things first mate put a little bit of bearing grease on the belts just in one spot it will spread around or dry lube if you have any see if the noise goes away.If it is going away when warm sounds like it could be a exhaust leak some where that is expanding and sealing with heat.Like i said though from a mechanics opinion simple things first before you start stressing yourself out about bigger problems.

czeslaw

hi
mine did the same from new when i had the free 1000km service
i told dealer about the noise
that was fixed dealer said dry lube or belt grip cant remember which
any way now its came back again after a few months just a little noise after 5 min warm up
i get no more noise the rest of the day.

tomski

I have the exact same problem, only when the engine is cold, and high rev range, 2500 - 3000rpm. Did you find any solution to the problem OP?

EDIT: Just to note, I cannot replicate the sound in while in Neutral, only whilst moving - especially while in 1st and 2nd gear - while engine is cold.

Last edited:
While the engine is cold, different things happen in the motor.

First, it's not at operating temperature so tolerances are looser. The turbo will be cold, its bearings not up to temp, so spooling it up too much might not help its longevity.

Second, the glow plugs are probably still operating and the fuel rail pressure might be a little higher than normal.

Third, the EGR should be closed for the entire time.

Fourth, the clutch on the cooling fan would not be engaged as it is coolant-temperature-dependent.

These factors will influence how the engine sounds.

I wonder if you've got a boost leak when the engine is cold, because the metal interfaces haven't expanded to their normal operating position? Perhaps in EGR valve area?

mine has been doing it before and still after egr blocking, dont know if that will change it though

Latest posts

Back