turbo timers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparra04

Reaction score
hi
i have just purchased a 2010 d22 diesel
my question is
should i have a turbo timer fitted

Welcome to the forum, Sparra. Nice to see another local in here!

Turbo timers aren't essential as long as you remember to give the turbo time to cool down before you shut the engine down.

If you're above 2,000rpm as you approach your home, your turbo is spooled up and it's hot. If you can cruise in and not get up into boost range, the turbo will be cooling itself off naturally and you can forget getting a turbo timer.

However if you have to drive it in boost range (eg uphill) and want to shut down fairly quickly, a turbo timer would be beneficial.

For those that don't know why: if the turbo is spooled up (spinning hard) it is highly dependent on the oil in the bearings. This oil is delivered by a tube that comes up from the engine and is returned to the engine by another tube. The heat of combustion is delivered directly to the turbine half of the turbocharger - it can sit up at around 650C or more at this point. If the turbo is still spinning and still hot when the engine is turned off, that essential flow of oil is stopped. This causes the oil left in the bearings to cook rather rapidly. Even the best oils with the best anti-varnish agents are going to suffer in the repeated presence of that much heat.

Which turbo timer should you get, if you need one? The ONLY one to consider is one that monitors the temperature at or near the turbo ("EGT"). This allows for shorter on-times if the turbo is only just over temp, or longer ones if it's way over temp on a hot day.

As far as I know, turbo timers are not legal in Australia - but as with many, many other things you can do to your vehicle, if you're not being an idiot with your car and drawing attention to yourself, it's unlikely that you'll ever have any grief over it.

what type?

Which turbo timer should you get, if you need one? The ONLY one to consider is one that monitors the temperature at or near the turbo ("EGT"). This allows for shorter on-times if the turbo is only just over temp, or longer ones if it's way over temp on a hot day.

what brand is best for quallity and price?

Unfortunately there isn't one of these readily available that I've been able to find. Someone else may have had more luck - but I went looking and came up empty.

However, if you've a tinkering heart and a soldering iron within your grasp, you can get the EGT Probe kit from Jaycar and hook it up with the Turbo Timer kit from Jaycar and figure out how to wire that in - then you have exactly what is needed.

I have a Greddy unit in my Nav.

Serves me well.

Cheaper and has more features then the rip off Boggard.

i have a blitz one in my ute and has a boost line and does measure boost and it changes time left on with how much boost it runs and how long the ute is running for.

Anthony

Yeah mine is the same as the one pictured but mines grey.

Assuming the wiring is the same colour Ill get the wiring tomorrow.

I got a auto sparkie to do mine for $30 I think it was.

I have thought about getting a turbo timer but one thing is i have an after market alarm with immobiliser, does this mean if it is still running with the turbo timer and i close up and lock the car it will cut fuel?

My alarm activates when the turbo timer is going and then the immobiliser kicks in when the engine stops.

Latest posts

Back