Twin Batteries

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rappy

Reaction score
Afternoon Guys, Quick questions to the people in the know!!!
I have got a Nissan Navara ST-R 2010 D22.

Questions It has got twin batteries, Can anyone help with idea's. Can i convert the twin to dual battery system. Eg. One battery as main then deep cycle as second with redarc or similar. The other question will these twins stop me from putting a snorkel on.

And While i have you here, can anyone suggest a bullbar that looks the goods and has the flog light spaces.

Other then that nice truck, 24000kms runs well, fuel 11.5kms per litre last tank, pretty happy so far.

Thanks for help.

Rappa

First, welcome.

Yes you can convert the twin batterys. try searching it as there is a fair bit on it. Also, you can put a snorkel on, it just has to be a genniuen nissan one. Try ebay (just read to make shuer it says it will fit dual battery. Sorry cant help with bull bar, i have the nissan one on and am happy with it for know. Try going to locall shops and having a look.

Welcome to the forum!

As Jamie says, you can keep the dual battery if you use the Airtec snorkel (which is the one that Nissan put their logo on if you buy from a Nissan dealer). Beware of cheap Chinese imports as some of them use inferior plastics that the sunlight degrades very quickly.

The Nissan bullbar is manufactured by ARB and does NOT include the foglight spaces. Have a look at ARB's range of bars - they have one that looks very similar and has the spaces for these lights. There are other alternatives like Xrox which may be more appealing to you (appearance-wise). I'm happy with my Nissan-badged ARB bar although I wouldn't mind foglights and I'll go the ARB bar myself next time.

Whichever bar you choose, make sure that it comes with an airbag certification. Not doing so will possibly cause issues with insurance if there's ever a need to rely on that.

The Redarc isolator will work fine, if you're running power to your tub make sure you use heavy cables and put a fuse in the line not too far from the battery. Heavy cables not only carry the current better but the voltage drop is less pronounced.

I had a chat with an auto electrician and he said that he will need the ute for half a day to see what battery powers what.
He thinks its possible to do as you say.
As for the bull bar, the only one with fog lights is the Ironman protector bar which has a stainless steel triple loop.
I am getting one of these soon as I think it is the only bar that really suits the Nav. They cost $1430 supplied only but I think is worth it.
ARB only have the one style bar(no fog) , Opposite Lock do have fog light bars but Look odd to me.
Other than that, there's not much really.

Tony, I'm pretty sure that in the factory setup the second battery is directly connected to the primary and disconnecting it will not change a thing. You can take the BLACK lead off the second battery yourself (not the red lead, unless you can isolate it somewhere) and drive around - see if anything's changed, but I doubt it. Save yourself "half a day" of labour charges and spend 2 minutes with a spanner undoing the battery then checking the car.

There have been a few people here that have isolated their second battery. The reason for the second battery - more cranking amps available in cold climates. We don't need that in Australia, which is why some (many) models just had the one battery - but Nissan thought it cheaper to just keep producing the models with the battery included than to send over modified models for our environment.

Thanks Tony, I might just do that.

FSHOO. yeah forgot about that bar, its an all steel bar with fog lights called a Delux Bar.

If I remember correctly, the D22 2010 dual batteries are 630 CCA each, whereas the single battery version is 660CCA.

From what I remember, the left hand/passenger side battery is connected to the alternator. Not sure which one connects to the starter motor.

Afternoon, Been thinking about the fog light issue on the bullbar.
What do you guys think about running a normal bullbar without fog lights.
Then using the fog light switch to power a light or two lights off the back (maybe) off the roll bar. That way I would have lights in hub for camping and hunting, plus the switch would be right on the light switch.
So Far i think its a good idea, any one got some input.
Can anyone shoot my idea down in flames.

Cheers

Steve

If I remember correctly, the D22 2010 dual batteries are 630 CCA each, whereas the single battery version is 660CCA.

From what I remember, the left hand/passenger side battery is connected to the alternator. Not sure which one connects to the starter motor.

close, they are connected together at the starter motor, there is a huge sticky thread about this here...

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=1957

Afternoon, Been thinking about the fog light issue on the bullbar.
What do you guys think about running a normal bullbar without fog lights.
Then using the fog light switch to power a light or two lights off the back (maybe) off the roll bar. That way I would have lights in hub for camping and hunting, plus the switch would be right on the light switch.
So Far i think its a good idea, any one got some input.
Can anyone shoot my idea down in flames.

Cheers

Steve

I hate to do it because it's quite a novel and space-saving idea, but the fog lights will draw power from your starter battery.

The FIRST rule of remote power usage is to NEVER, EVER compromise your starter battery. Just forget it, don't even consider it.

You can do it like this (because it won't consume enough power within a day to be a big concern) - you could use the fog light output to operate a relay and draw power from the second battery.

Here's how to hook up a relay to do that (pin numbers can be seen UNDER the relay, just turn it over):

Pin 30 - to the second (auxiliary) battery (put a fuse inbetween the relay and the battery, close to the battery).
Pin 85 - to the fog light output.
Pin 86 - to the chassis
Pin 87 - to the HEAVY cable heading down to the lights. Start with a fuse here too, just to make sure.

The relay will draw a small amount from your starter but that's all. If you're staying in one place for some time, it would be a good idea to idle the engine for about 10-15 minutes each day just to make sure it doesn't get a chance to go flat.

Latest posts

Back