UHF Spring Based Aerial - Which is better; fibreglass or Stainless Steel Whip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys....

On our last outback outing I never got time to install a spring base to our UHF Aerial and I paid the price with the aerial snapping off due to the corrugated roads..... it's now time to look for a replacement and was wondering which way to go for "durability".....

Do I get a spring base aerial with a Fibreglass aerial or a stainless steel whip? If I go Fibreglass, do I get the fibrelass aerial where the wire is wound externally or internally (ie the thicker/bigger ones)?

your helpful advice would be much appreciated......

rob

I've got an elevated stainless whip. It works well on corrugated roads - but the whip did get broken by a mate when we were stuffing around under the bonnet one day!

All I can suggest is to avoid the stainless ones with in aerial loading coils that bolt together as they vibrate apart on corrugations. On the to buy list is a long fibreglass aerial for "next time outback"

Ive got the GME fiberglass ariel on mine she works a treat the small flexi wire ones are crap they break too easy especially if ya hit a roo lol. Ive been through a few underground car parks with ariel on and kept hitting it on every support beam and she didnt chip split or break

Ive got gme fibreglass to. There is know real difference a 20 buck wire 6.5db will get the same signl as 6.5db thick fibreglass aerial. Only difference is height. If its higher you get better signal for sight of line but not enough to really make a significaant difference

These where suggested as a option..... Does anyone have experience with these:

stinger_5.jpg

stinger.jpg

Apparently they are a similiar price to RFI. comes in 1.1 and 1.8m versions too. The only thing with these is can the aerial be removed from the spring base.....?

They can be found here:

UHF MINI STINGER 1.1M

Product Information of UHF MINI STINGER 1.1M

Bushcomm website

Ive got the GME fiberglass ariel on mine she works a treat the small flexi wire ones are crap they break too easy especially if ya hit a roo lol. Ive been through a few underground car parks with ariel on and kept hitting it on every support beam and she didnt chip split or break

But then I've had fibre glass break in those same conditions - go figure.

But then I've had fibre glass break in those same conditions - go figure.

Fair enough the only damage ive gotten on mine was the rubber cap came off so i just glued it back on. the last roo i hit i was so lucky that i had my ariel on the roo jumped just as i hit it and thankfully it was where the ariel was because it hit the top corner of the bullbar and the ariel, stopped it from jumping in the front seat with me hahaha

Latest posts

Back