UltraGauge - Anybody have/tried one?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got any pictures of the unit and where u mounted it Joe

Because I am still mucking around with it & don't want to keep it connected when the car goes in for a service, the cable won't be permanently routed for some time.

Don't ask why I have chosen PSI for some measurements.

Crappy photos taken with my crappy phone.

Attachments

• Image0274.jpg
    Image0274.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Image0273.jpg
    Image0273.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Image0272.jpg
    Image0272.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Installed 1 today and it looks great.
Going. To take a bit of setting up but all good so far.
Tomorrow is a digi options stereo.

Be interesting to get some readings and temps from every1 and see how they match up.

Cheers
Chado

Water temp usually 88 to 89c.

Calibrated the fuel/lph on the weekend only to stuff it up by zeroing the figures today. I will have to go through it all again. Should have written down the calibration figure so it could have been entered manually.

Chado,

If you haven't already, I suggest you download & print a copy of the instruction manual.

Calibration of the KPH/Fuel is listed on page 36.

This is what it says but the important bits are steps 1-4

Calibrate MPG/Fuel
MENU  Vehicle Setup ..  Calibration..  Calibrate MPG/Fuel
This calibration is used to fine-tune UltraGauge to accurately measure fuel usage. This calibration is critical, especially for vehicles which use a MAP sensor, diesels and alternative fuels.

For vehicles that use a MAP sensor*, see the menu section on Adaptive Volumetric Efficiency before proceeding.

Prior to this calibration, consider performing the distance calibration. See the section: Calibrate Distance

Calibration can not be performed if less than 4 liters or 1 gallon have been used. It is best to use a full tank or more.
The gauges that depend on fuel usage will not be accurate until this calibration is complete. To perform calibration, please follow these steps.
Fill up the fuel tank. Once filled, press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
Zero the Average MPG. MENU  Gauge/Page Menu ..  Zero Ave MPG, G/H.
At the next fuel fill-up, note the number of gallons/liters used (pumped). Select MENU  Vehicle Setup..  Calibration..  Calibrate MPG/Fuel and enter the fuel used. Press MENU when complete to set and save the calibration. Use the same fuel station and pump for best results. Alternatively, record and add the actually gallons used over several fill-ups to improve accuracy.
The Calibration factor will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.

I hope it's not subject to copyright.

If you give this a go & get stuck, let me know the bit that does not make sense & I will see if I can help.

A question for anybody using an UltraGauge:

How accurate are your fuel consumption figures?

I have not calibrated the distance figure & I know it is wrong so it is reasonable that the fuel consumption figure will be wrong.

My fuel consumption figure had an error of about 5% so I have been manually manipulating the calibration factor.

It is still a work in progress but I think it should be possible to get the litres per 100 figure pretty much spot on.

Can't speak for ultragauge but given that all ECU readers pretty much work the same with my SG my manual calcs can be within 0.2LPH of SG when set up right but if any of the user settings are wrong the error can go from small to large very easily.

For instance, failing to change the tank size from the default 15L once saw me with LPH figures of 300LPH+ for standard driving. Even adjusting the tank size to 82L instead of 80 made a slight difference to what I was calculating. Not sure if Ultragauge has it but on SG choosing the wrong fuel type throws out LPH readings, so any setting you do not do correctly will always have an effect, as to how far that error goes it will be entirely dependent on the setting you choose not to enter.

I also have to take into account my ODO error when I calculate my figures manually because unlike what most people seem to report my ODO is actually out by the same 9% the speedo is, that doesn't effect SG but it does mean I have to take that 9% into account when I work out distance v litres.

All these ECU readers are only as good as the information the user enters.

Filled up tonight but had only done 231ks. UG was reading 10.6LPH & actual was 10.748LPH. Will try a few more fills before I fiddle again & see it it is fairly stable.

Have not even considered the accuracy of the odo until now. Bugger you Krafty :). The speedo is about 8% out so who knows.

Not sure if Ultragauge has it but on SG choosing the wrong fuel type throws out LPH readings

There's a good reason for that. OBD-II data request responses are different for petrol and diesel fuel types. Specifically, and more correctly, they are different for "spark ignition and compression ignition engines".

I've been studying the PID list in the ECU trying to fathom which PIDs I can actually get access to and I discovered this little anomaly.

Mine arrived yesterday and I set it all up - good so far although my L/100k are quite high so ill do some calibration this weekend.

Where have you guys mounted it?

I was thinking of making a bracket up and mounting it to the underside of the dash. Above the coin slot in front of the gear stick. Still to decide

I am happy with mine, particularly for the price.

Left it connected when the car went in for a service yesterday at Nissan. I was a bit worried they might not like me dicking around with the OBD11 port.

Instead they asked me where I got it because one of the blokes there was interested in it.

Nissan have only had mine twice but neither time they disconnected the scangauge which does beg asking the question about how many important updates or resets are done via the computer when manufacturers do a service. But alas that is a question for a different thread no doubt.

Latest posts

Back