Under body bash plates

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavatron

Reaction score
Hey guys as the title says, Im chasing some under body protection. Has anyone fitted any after market protection to their d22. I haven't really heard of any after going through the forums for the last few months. I guess its pretty cheap insurance if the car is gonna get a hard time. Is there any thing else i should be looking at to play it safe (underbody wise)

Cheers guys

Gav

Gavatron,

Have looked seriously into Both Brown Davis and TJM/ARB.

Both are just 3mm steel pate

For the price ($450) i'm gonna make my own.

Underbody wise, prob just some diff breathers and ^^^.

ASFIR do great 6mm thick alloy plates that go from the radiator to the rear of the transfer box. Dunno if you get them in Aus though

I have got the TJM ones. They are bloody good if you ask me. The only thing I would say is they would be better if you can get nutserts put in the holes rather than using their tabs setup.

I am a sheety by trade and wouldnt bother making my own for the price they are asking. A sheet of 3mm steel would be over $200 anyway. I value my time off too much.

I made these plates up from 5mm ally. (D40) material cost me $165 1/2 sheet. I made up the templates from cardboard and used a piece of 50x5mm to get the profile I wanted. I then had the ally bent by a local engineering firm for $40. Hardest part is mounting, I didn't want to drill or weld to the chassis so spent a fair bit of time making brackets to pick up holes already in the chassis. All up, a couple of hundred dollars and a weekend worth of work.

Attachments

• tank guard.jpg
    tank guard.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 674
  • sump guard.jpg
    sump guard.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 648
  • sump guard1.jpg
    sump guard1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 598
I made these plates up from 5mm ally. (D40) material cost me $165 1/2 sheet. I made up the templates from cardboard and used a piece of 50x5mm to get the profile I wanted. I then had the ally bent by a local engineering firm for $40. Hardest part is mounting, I didn't want to drill or weld to the chassis so spent a fair bit of time making brackets to pick up holes already in the chassis. All up, a couple of hundred dollars and a weekend worth of work.

Nice job! Iam also really happy with the Brown Davis plates. Installed in a few hours.

Looking for someone on here that has hopefully installed a set of the TJM under boady gaurds/ bash plates......My brother in law bought a pair yesterday for his Thai built 09 D22 and I have some on order also from TJM for my Jap built 09 D22. He tried to install them this arvo but couldn't work out the front plate from Bullbar past sump. Do you have to remove the factory cover plate under there before hand and do they bolt over the existing holes that we have both used for the Outback recovery points......? If anyone is of any assistance or has any detailed pics of there TJM plates that would be great, thanks guys.

Cheers for that, did you just cut up with an angle grinder or something? Is that just the OEM plate under motor area or also from the factory steel bar to start of chassis rails....you have a custom one on yours where I have a standard one there from factory wasnt sure if that had to go also......? Thanks again.

yeah angle grinder then hit it with a bit of cold galv paint. oh don't know about that factory bullbar plate, might be able to stay? yeah mine is custom, i was talking about oem bashplate to protect sump. hehe though that was a obvious question. mines a tjm bar so it didn't come with a plate there, and they don't sell one.

Ive heard that the TJM bash plates don't fit the 08 onwards (2.5L) properly, some parts have to be built up with washers????

Apparently the Brown Davis ones fit properly.

Oh.....if that is the case they will be going straight back, would prefer something that is made to fit correctly and that doesnt need to be modified, even if only minor? Brown Davis is an all in one unit isnt it not a 2 peice? Might just hold off a couple of days until my brother in law sorts his out then before I go and pay and pick mine up....?

pretty sure Brown Davis only do front diff, sump...they don't cover transfer case/gearbox as far i recall. and i can't confirm it doesn't fit the 2.5L utes. would be worth waiting to see if your b-in-l can fit his. or ask TJM HQ, not just the shop but the office in brisbane, they always put you through to the R&D guys that really know.

edit: oh yeah and the brown davis costs about the same for the one front one as both TJM ones together.

Last edited:
I rang Brown Davis a couple of weeks ago and they said their BP fits the 2.5 D22 perfectly.

i know this is one of those undebatable questions that probably cant be answered to a yes or no...

im lookig at doing my front sump/diff/transfer case and wanna know whats the best bashplate? i knwo tjm do a kits thats does all but have heard alot of yes and no about them fitting correctly. plus brown and davis dont do a transfer plate which just tells me no straight away. OR do i take my car to a steel fabricator and get a custom set?

Gday, I got a few questions about bash plates too.
Do the bash plates catch much mud/ crap?
Do you have to take them off often to clean everything?
Do they make the engine run any hotter, (this might be a silly question, but not sure if it would deflect engine heat back into the engine bay? Living in Darwin its something i worry about)?
Is there anything else I should consider when thinking of pitting these on, I want to put the iron-man protector bar on, I don't know if that will affect anything?
How much do they set you back $$ wise?

Thanks for any help?

Cheers Mickey

i know this is one of those undebatable questions that probably cant be answered to a yes or no...

im lookig at doing my front sump/diff/transfer case and wanna know whats the best bashplate? i knwo tjm do a kits thats does all but have heard alot of yes and no about them fitting correctly. plus brown and davis dont do a transfer plate which just tells me no straight away. OR do i take my car to a steel fabricator and get a custom set?

after you pay for materials and the labour i'm sure that off the shelf would be cheaper. my TJM fitted fine, not sure why some others had trouble,or which year model were more trouble.

Back