Unsealed Roads

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get some good rubber and these will hold the gravel roads nicely without using 4wd , I`ve got cooper atr`s and these grip the gravel road firmly and gives me a really safe feeling.

Check your tyre pressures.
Mine as new from the dealer had 50psi in all 4's and i thought bugger this new 4wd has bloody rock hard suspension, so i checked the pressures and found they were too high.
made the world of difference

He's right. PSi makes a big difference. I drop mine to 25-30 on access trails now but run 40-42 (f/r) on road for the sake of mileage.

I run about 31/32psi for road use as I've found previously running at 38/40 is wearing the centre of my tread prematurely.
Thats with the factory tyres, dunno bout the other types yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run about 31/32psi for road use as I've found previously running at 38/40 is wear the centre of my tread prematurely.
Thats with the factory tyres, dunno bout the other types yet.

I'll let you know how the Geolanders go. So far, so good.

Ive done a fair few thousand k on unsealed road in 4h and have had no problems, uses a bit more fuel but its worth it for the better handling. Usually have pressures down to 28psi.

I have Oztec shocks that are made to GSA Suspension specifications. Low pressure gas/oil with their specified valving. (Other companies label them XGS)and the Rancho RS5000 steering damper fitted. Canopy on back, 80 litre fridge and few other bits in the back all the time.

I ride over the bumps really well now (That's Pilbara Bumps). Cheese and Chalk.

I have Oztec shocks that are made to GSA Suspension specifications. Low pressure gas/oil with their specified valving. (Other companies label them XGS)and the Rancho RS5000 steering damper fitted. Canopy on back, 80 litre fridge and few other bits in the back all the time.

I ride over the bumps really well now (That's Pilbara Bumps). Cheese and Chalk.

Yes, a suspension/shock uprade is well worth the dollars and also a must sooner or later.

pressure

i checked the pressures and they were 41 f/r so i dropped them to about 31-ish and it made a load of difference. I'll keep and eye on the tyre wear and fuel economy.

Done thousand kays on heavilly corrigated dirt roads at 80-90Kph in 4H and never had a problem with the transfer and find 4H helps keep the vehicle straight. I found the higher speed was much better (more stable and better handeling) than say 60Kph. I run Toughdog foamcell big bore shocks and medium leaf springs.

Each vehicle will have a sweet spot/speed on corrigated roads depending on it's suspension setup, tyre pressure, load and corrigation size/spaceing where the tyres will skip from the top of one corrigation to the next. On trips with a range of vehicles this has varied from around 50Kph to 90Kph.

Sometimes you can't safely reach the sweet speed because of bulldust holes, dips or corners so you will have to slow right down to bellow the point where the corrigations are shaking the vehicle to bits and put up with going real slow.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back