Using redarc SBI12 for dual batt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobbo2253

Reaction score
Hey guys can I use the redarc SBI12 isolator for my dual battery system I've been told I can't via arb because of the distance but there best interest to sell me a new one (my thought at the time) but if I use bigger cable I thought the amps would flow better and will be mounting the battery under my steal tray closest to the cab on my dual cab D40 ??

It can be done. I had a sbi12 charging an agm in the very back of my tub in a dualcab 22. I used 6b&s cable and never had dramas. Make sure to fuse at either end apart from that you should be fine

I am using the SBI12 on my dual cab, the battery is in one of the tool box's on the tray, i have gone against fitting recommendations (near to start battery)and mounted the unit next to the aux battery, i have also used heavy cable and resettable circuit breakers at each end, had this set up for a good twelve months and no problems at all, battery is always fully charged.

Kev

by the way,what year is yours?

Last edited:
I am using the SBI12 on my dual cab, the battery is in one of the tool box's on the tray, i have gone against fitting recommendations (near to start battery)and mounted the unit next to the aux battery, i have also used heavy cable and resettable circuit breakers at each end, had this set up for a good twelve months and no problems at all, battery is always fully charged.

Kev

by the way,what year is yours?

Thanks guys my d40 is a 2012 st

Correct me if i am wrong but from 2010 the D40 has a variable voltage alternator, basically when the battery is charged the alternator stops/reduces the amount of charge to the main battery, i haven't had a play around with one of these yet but from what i have read you should use a different isolator.

this might help.

Kev

http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hint...ect_dual_battery_systems_charging_performanc/

So the system I have won't work at all or it will just not as well sorry for my stupidity just don't know much about the isolator

Correct me if i am wrong but from 2010 the D40 has a variable voltage alternator, basically when the battery is charged the alternator stops/reduces the amount of charge to the main battery, i haven't had a play around with one of these yet but from what i have read you should use a different isolator.

this might help.

Kev

http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hint...ect_dual_battery_systems_charging_performanc/

So it won't work at all or will work just not as well sorry for my stupidity just don't know much about the isolator side of things

So it won't work at all or will work just not as well sorry just not 100% up to date on this isolator situation

Yeah. 2012 St. I think it has the smart alternator so without a DC DC charger the second battery is never going to get 100%

On the "smart alternators" you can cut the green wire (apparently, I haven't seen it myself) and the alternator always puts out a charging current. Personally, I'd try to disconnect the wire rather than cut it if possible.

Any VSR or isolator charging a battery in the rear from the front of the car will never charge the rear battery fully. Voltage drop even with 21sqmm cable over the 6m length of the car is going to be in the region of 0.3-0.5V (personally tested) and if the alternator has difficulty charging the starter to 100% (typically stops at around 75% SOC) the aux in the back can never fare better.

There are three ways to defeat this. First is to keep the engine running for hours, it will slowly trickle-charge both batteries to full charge. Definitely not recommended - even at idle the car uses around 1.7L of fuel per hour. Second is to employ a DC-DC charger near the battery (eg C-Tek D250S) and lastly invert the power and use a mains charger (which is how I do it). Inverting the power is the most accurate and complete method, but it has dangers - the 240V produced by the inverter is just as lethal as your house power.

G'day guys,
Just wondering if anyone has cut the green wire yet? Hoping to set up a cheap dual battery system with a $100 isolator in my 2013 st....
Cheers

G'day guys,
Just wondering if anyone has cut the green wire yet? Hoping to set up a cheap dual battery system with a $100 isolator in my 2013 st....
Cheers

Dont cut the green wire but there is a small plug on the negative battery terminal when disconnected your alternator will stay on. there is a thread on her somewhere with the pic on the last page. It is the way i will be going with my 2013

Alternatively, just pull the green wire closest to the battery from the fuse box on the drivers side

Back