Variable force gas strut(?) Is there such a thing.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
What I'm looking for is something to do the work of a "gas strut" but run off a little air compressor. do they exist? Or do I have to craft it? Jargon?

Long story short is that I have to come up with a way for the Boss to set up and pack down the camper trailer and make it as physically undemanding as possible.

The first problem is the boat rack and the crap on it(solar panels, etc). It has four gas struts that are just plain worn out and I'm currently in the process of taking measurements and working out the replacements.

It would be relatively easy to just put four high pressure ones on so that once you pull the locking pins out, it will just lift up of its own accord, then use a cargo strap to pull it back down, except I have to figure on the total lack of mechanical skill of The Boss. hence the idea of remove locking pins, turn on key, press and hold button to turn on air compressor until up, then insert locking pin to keep it up.

yep they make air rams and also electric rams. Not cheap thou once you factor in the rams, compressor, tank and all the valves, switches and lines needed to make it work. Electric rams are more simple but a lot dearer. Check out ebay for some ideas..

Latest posts

Back