vibration under car while accelarting from 1700rpm to 2000rpm

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared

Reaction score
hi

this is my first post on here. its good to see all the advise given between fellow navarians. I was hoping for some advise on an issue i have of my own.

I have just bought a 2006 stx D40 turbo diesel done 105,000kms.

While accelerating there is a very noticeble vibration coming from under the car between 1700 and 2000rpm. It seems as soon as the turbo kicks in and the cars pick up increase that the vibration goes away. It vibrates in all the gears only between the mention rpm range. if i floor it between the gears it seems to reduce the vibration quite allot. im not sure where exactly the vibration is coming from, kinda sounds like its across the underneath of the car.

I have only had the car for about a week and this is my 1st 4x4. Is this something that i should be worried about and get looked at. Any pointers to where i should start looking?

Cheers

My guess is the clutch mine had a harmonic vibration in the same rev range.
Nissan said they fixed the clutch dampener.
or maybe they cable tied the thing so it couldnt vibrate.
When the noise is apparant push the clutch pedal slightly if that stops the noise then thats the problem

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Mad D40.

Try sitting in the driveway in neutral and after letting the engine idle over for a minute, rev it to 1700-1800rpm. Do you notice the vibration?

Your engine should have a dual mass flywheel. This flywheel has springs inside it to reduce vibration, but if something goes wrong, it could make things worse.

If you bought it from a dealer, they should be asked repair it under warranty.

when im sitting in the drive way in neutral reving thru 1700 to 2000rpm it doesnt vibrate at all. I tried pushing the clutch in slightly when the noise is apparent while driving and yes it seemed to reduce the vibration alot. Is there a reason why it would only vibrate between 1700 to 2000 rpm?

would you think that the clutch or flywheel needs replacing or just the clutch dampener? or is this clutch dampner part of the clutch and can be repaired.

Im not much of a mechanic im still learning so hope this all makes sense.

Is this is an easy fix? is it something that you think i should be worried about because if i leave it it may cause more damage?

thanks for the help so far guys:):)

Thats the speed at which it is most out of balance.

The clutch/flywheel is all one unit called a dual mass as mentioned.
They are around $3500 for a replacement unit if not under warranty.
Or Alternatively, and I do alot of them. A solid flywheel and clutch replacement is around $1700.
I have done quite a few and was a bit concerned at first about the vibration the cars may have without the dual mass, I was unable to fell a difference between the two and all of the customers also report not being able to detect any difference...

If the thing is vibrating, it's shaking - which means something is out of kilter. It's supposed to be smooth. That vibration will eventually get worse and may cause a failure.

With 105,000km on the clock you might consider putting a whole new kit in - go heavy duty, perhaps consider Exedy. Cost of a SMF (Single Mass Flywheel) and clutch in Sydney was quoted at $3200 not all that long ago (parts and labour) so you might want to negotiate with the dealer: get the price of a genuine DMF (dual mass flywheel) and clutch and tell them you'll fork out the difference between that and the heavy duty clutch with SMF.

If you're getting the clutch and flywheel done, I'd make sure the pressure plate was replaced too - at 105,000km those springs might be a little aged. Again, good-faith negotiation with the dealer ought to prove fruitful if they're halfway decent.

Hi Guy's,

I too are a virgin to this site, Jared this is a common problem and is highlighted thru out this forum and an issue i have been struggling with Nissan for 12 months now and finally they have a solution, here is the reply from my local service manager at Nissan,

The rattle under load has been a known concern in the field for some time now and Nissan have been working on a fix for this concern.
They have recently released a bulletin for this fix and the parts are not available at the moment due to popular demand from all the dealers.
We have had several cars for parts on backorder and still waiting for them from Japan. We have not even carried this repair out yet
To see if it fixes the concern due to parts but Nissan have informed us it will.
Good luck and i will keep u posted when repaired!

I had a single mass Exedy flywheel clutch combo quoted for $2800ish fitted.
May pay to shop around there.

Nissan replaced mine under warranty saved me a few bucks thankfully!!!!

hi i have the same problem now after i replaced the gearbox it vibrates really bad between 1700- 2200 rpm and even worse when towing 2-3 tonn i allready have a new clutch and single mass flywheel so could this be a clutch dampener as well because the vibration wasn't there before i took it too the mechanics. any thoughts

Just thinking out side the square, has the navara had a upgrade/uplift on the suspension, if so it could be a vibration to the tailshaft (increased angle) also check the shaft bearing.
Hope this helps
Paul

I had a customers vehicle through the other day, fitted up a heavy duty clutch and single mass flywheel.

Since fitted, the above mentioned vibration has been there (vibrates the whole fibreglass canopy and roof rack). We noticed the gearbox mount had sagged and had a small tear in it, so replaced that and it reduced the vibration, but did not remove it entirely. The vibration is when the vehicle is loaded up, it's definitely an engine harshness coming through, which the dual mass flywheel must have masked to some extent. My next thought was to look at replacing the engine mounts, but they appear fine.

I can make my new D40 make the same vibration, but nowhere near as savage.

Just thinking out side the square, has the navara had a upgrade/uplift on the suspension, if so it could be a vibration to the tailshaft (increased angle) also check the shaft bearing.
Hope this helps
Paul

that's what i was thinking it might be as well.

my nav has had a lift since new and the vibration is at its worst when in first and second when load the engine up in that rev range, This has only happend since they put a near new gearbox in last week ' I have had the solid flywheel and clutch for 15000ks now.

I have the same vibration. Bought the car at ~100k and haven't though much of it.

If you only accelerate ~10-20% or push right to 100% it's not an issue. I've had the car for 6 months now and its no worse than it was originally.

Might just wait for something to break then get a new clutch if required....

Vibration at 1700 rpm.

Did anyone have the same experience? My Navara Diesel 4x4 2.5 (D40)have a vibration at 1700 rpm when pulling uphill in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear. It is speed indepedant. Interesting is that when the diesel tank is full and heavy the vibration is totally absent. I also added a bracket to the exhaust that made the vibration less but it is still there.

I also removed the tank and cleaned it as I thouht there was dirt in the tank.

I also replaced the gearbox mounting. Took it to two Nissan dealers. One says its normal, the other cant find the fault. I also had it at Steves Auto Clinic. They tested it on the dino and also cannot find the fault. Injectors are also fine. I checked the engine mountings and they look tight.

I was told that the pipe between the engine and the heater matrix is too short and has to be replaced. Has anyone had this done?

i just had a full excedy heavy duty clutch and a solid flywheel fitted for $2,200 about a month ago at maitland brake and clutch, just near newcastle nsw.check the jack shaft uni joints. if they flog out itll vibrate. thats the little drive shaft from the transfer case to the front diff. do you go off road?? check you havent ripped a counter weight aka balance weight off your tail shaft start simple before you rip in an spend money

Back