*VNOG* Walhalla

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sat

• sat

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • sat

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry mate,if bloody subordinates had of shown up today i'd be right to go.
Young guys shouldn't be paid on a thursday,they go out blow there whole wage in a night then don't show up on the friday.

I miss those days.

I thought you weren't into really tough tracks??? I've heard Spud Spur is bloody tough in the dry, so with all the rain they've had up around Aberfeldy at the moment it wouldn't make it any easier......

Ssssshhhhhhh you'll give the game away - its surprising what a standard vehicle can do. Heata / Heath had a ball with us last weekend in the mud on OEM tyres and at night. In his own words ' my confidence has grown enormously since we started out'
Also having said that. I don't expect anybody to put themselves or vehicle into a perilous situation. If at anytime it does get sketchy then pull the rip cord and we will bail out.

Cheers for the heads up on track conditions though. Last time down Spud Spur we exited via the other approach towards McEvoy's

Cheers for the heads up on track conditions though. Last time down Spud Spur we exited via the other approach towards McEvoy's

No dramas mate, hope you guys have an awesome day tomorrow. Also, that bog hole is on the left side of the exit to Spud if you are coming down the track from the main road. The only way to avoid it would be to exit Spud to the right, cross the Aberfeldy and come back up Pluto track. Be keen to hear how you guys go. I'm keen to come along next time you organise a trip, just waiting for the 32' Big Horns i've ordered to arrive as i haven't got too much tread left on the OEM's!

Hey! Kept the sauce limit to a reasonable level on Friday night and made it up to Walhalla (thanks for waiting guys!) with Aido, Ange, his two dogs and Jase. I managed to convince my other half, Trish, to come along and we took our two yr old ridgie, Hawk -who had a ball running up the steep hill we took a walk on. All three dogs got along very well - which was great to see - I love well mannered dogs. We had a great day. Good to finally meet the lads and drive some tracks. We tackled some steep stuff and the 3 vehicles did a great job. I certainly understand Heath's comments about growing in confidence - the more you drive the better the understanding of the capabilities. Looking forward to the next one. Hey Aido - can you post up which tracks we drove so there is record for when I feel the need to do it all again. Thanks again guys -great day.

Trip report ----
Departed Walhalla at 11 and headed up Happy go lucky rd and wound our way along Maiden Town Trk. Unable to find neither a single maiden nor a town we turned off onto Gladstone Trk which has some great views along the ridge line before dropping into a valley that lead us to a little creek crossing that had a 3 point turn to drop into. At this point Gladstone becomes Deep Creek No.2 Trk. WHOOHOO. Steep climb up on clay and shale. Nothing too difficult just real good fun with several switchbacks. The switchbacks make driving interesting when all you can see is sky above the bonnet and you have to negotiate them. Deep Creek No.2 runs into a T intersection with Deep Creek No.5 where we stopped for a breather, did some tyre kicking and let the dogs out for a pee and a run.
Deep Creek No.5 was sensational with a steep descent back into the valley and an even steeper climb back up the other side.
No.5 leads back onto the main drag - Binns rd - where we turned left and headed for Army Trk a short distance away. I was concerned about some dark clouds starting to gather and decided that the head of Army Trk should be a lunch stop to see if the weather would change - it didn't fortunately as these tracks would not be possible after even a short shower, let alone if we got stuck in a downpour.
Off down Army Trk and turned left down Fultons. Now both Jason and myself had heard that Fultons was a difficult track. Turned out that it was no worse than what we had already been up and down. Steep in parts but a dozer has been down there in the last 12 months and so there aren't any perilous ruts. Lots of low 1st and loud pedal getting up in parts and once again great views from the ridge - we could see the back side of Baw Baw with snow atop. It was interesting to note too the climatic change and the vegetation along this ridge with snow gums in places and grasses as opposed to the rocky scrub over in the Deep Creek area.
Getting late and many KM's to travel we looked to an escape route back to a main rd and decided on one last fun run to get there - Pheasant Creek Trk. Bloody cracker of a path to take. The DSE (or someone ) has taken to afixing little signs to the road signs to indicate the difficulty of the tracks. It was with a little trepidation that I noted that this Pheasant creek Trk had been marked as a black diamond. I called it over the radio and didn't get any response to the negative so off we went :rock:. Steep and rocky descent all the way down to the Abberfeldy river. The track is once again in good condition, just steep. Crossed the river and made our way up the otherside. Near to the top were 3 other vehicles coming down and were just negotiating a fairly tough set off ruts. There was none of the rock and shale that had been everywhere else but just clay. I had a go at getting up the main route before losing forward momentum in a deep rut on the very steep incline. Backed it up and we all walked it and decided that the chicken run was definitely the better way to go but just a little tricky to enter. This was only 200m from the top before it joins up with Walhalla Rd and the way home and so it was a great way to end the day with a small challenge.
High speed run down to the tarmac, aired up and run for home.

Really good day. The weather was magnificent and there was more dust than there was mud.
Great to meet another forum member in the form of Ridgie and his better half Trish.
Good luck with your Shindig tonight Jase and staying awake :big_smile:
Ian......Sucks to be you cause you would have loved this one :devil:. Spud Spur looks like the Monash compared to some of these tracks.

Pics to follow

Sorry if that sounds like a grade 5 essay "what I done on me hollydays". I'm tired and I never did pass grade 5 engrish anyhow :big_smile:

Aug2010063LargeWebview.jpg

Bottom of Gladstone Trk / Deep Creek No.2

Aug2010068LargeWebview.jpg

And out again. Note the front right lifting :rock:

Aug2010084LargeWebview.jpg

Coming up Deep Creek No.5

Aug2010120LargeWebview.jpg

Also coming up No.5

Aug2010119LargeWebview.jpg

Aug2010107LargeWebview.jpg

Crossing Fultons Creek

Aug2010127LargeWebview.jpg

Crossing Abberfeldy at the bottom of Pheasant Creek track

Aug2010151LargeWebview.jpg

Top end of Pheasant Creek Trk near to Walhalla rd
Aug2010157LargeWebview.jpg

Aug2010162LargeWebview.jpg

The gang after a successful day out around Walhalla!
:cheers!:

Seems I have lost alot of resolution in the pics by downsizing and uploading them....

Goodnight I'm knackered

Looks like some fun was had. Shame I was not able to come along. SOON I hope to be able to sort (or upgrade) the D21 and join the fun. For now it gets me to work and back, but i would not trust it outside metro melbourne with the family aboard. So all I can do is read the reports and save $ for a heart transplant/rebuild !!!

Looks like a good trip, Pheasant Creek Track is where we where stuck for 5hrs last time I was down that way in the poring rain, I think by the looks of the pictures we came at it from the other way. it was so slippery even a GQ with 35" MT Claws had to winch. There are some great tracks around that area, hop I can make it on the next trip.

Just reading through this thread again to steal the trip route.

Ahhh the memories............what a great day.

Funnily enough Hawk & I have travelled together again, but I can't convince Trish to come again!

Check out that D40 Kingcab - gee that was an awesome home-made canopy that thing.

Latest posts

Back