Vortex "Premium Diesel"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• can-o-worms.jpg
    can-o-worms.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 41
Bahahhahahaha!!! That pic kills me!
Reminds me of. "Don't worry I watch Man Vs Wild"

Was running Caltex Vortex in my TD27T Terrano as the servo is just near work. I changed my routine and now fill up at United servo near home. Lost about 30Klm per tank full... Going back to Caltex Next fill........

I really dont worry about economy and fuel prices that much, as in, its not something I follow on a regular basis. I am more a creature of habit and just fuel up when its needed at a place thats convenient.. Well I used to be anyway, If it aint Vortex I aint stopping... unless its the last pump B4 the tracks begin:sarcastic:

i use vortex deisel a fair bit mainly because caltex is the most convineant, cant say ive noticed any difference over any other diesel. i think its a gimmick. caltex had vortex diesel and normal diesel there for the same price which makes me think its the same thing.

Working at caltex refinery its funny seeing Shell and BP road tankers filling up every now and then at the load out bays.

I have the receipts from the Shell servo at Marla SA. It's actually a Mobil servo in Shell livery.

That's not all that surprising. Mobil said they were pulling out of the retail market and they tried to flog a heap of outlets to Caltex. I think some authority stepped in to block that because someone called it a monopoly.

Now, all the local Mobil servos are gone and 7-Elevens have taken their place.

The only thing that's GOOD about that is I don't mind listening to a bit of ol' Hound Dog.

At places like Kings Creek Station and Kings Canyon Resort, all the bowsers said "Mobil Products" although I'm fairly sure Kings Canyon Resort had Shell signage up. I'm not convinced the diesel we bought at KCS was even pure diesel - I suspect it may have been partly biodiesel. As for how good that fuel is - well, let's say we've never had economy that good while towing. I'll go back there for fuel again, if I ever need to.

As for Caltex themselves - I've not noticed anything special about their diesel, except the service centre on the F3 charges 2cpl more for cars (Vortex) than it does for trucks.

I just managed to get to Daly Waters pub before dark & drove right past the servo on the highway so it wouldn't be pitch black when I got to Daly Waters. All the time not knowing whether we would get a caravan site or run out of fuel.

Filled up next morning at the pub (with diesel not grog). Can't remember what brand of fuel it was claimed to be or whether the chook man had secreted something in the underground tank (WTF did I say that for?). Maybe they were just perfect road conditions but I got the best economy ever with the van in tow.

Hardly conclusive evidence or controlled conditions but it does make me wonder.

Joe, I think it's biodiesel, and more to the point, I think that biodiesel is better than dinosaur if it's refined right. Unfortunately making our own out of vege oil could be catastrophically bad, which is why I think Nissan keep telling us to avoid it.

But biodiesel has to be manufactured to a particular standard if it's going to be accepted by the users, and it's entirely possible that the 20% biodiesel with the right (or better) cetane rating improves the quality of the rest of the shit in the tank that we got from Dino and thus we get better economy from it.

I wonder what a tank of pure bio runs like. Properly manufactured, of course - none of this backyard distilling.

Tony, I thought Argentina or somewhere has biodiesel of various percentages up to 100%??

It would be interesting to know whether better economy has been confirmed because surely this is something they would have tested.

Mind you I believe that the octane rating of LPG for use in motor vehicles is reduced. They would probably do something similar to the diesel if they thought they would not need to sell as much.

Oh & like you suggested, dirty fish & chip oil might not cut the mustard.

Last edited:
While I don't fully subscribe to the oil-producer-conspiracy-theory, I do believe that there's a significant amount of smoke around the place.

It's entirely possible that crappy diesel is being dumped on us (meaning Australia) and the better stuff goes to places that need it, like Tikopia. In order to put the fear of God into us they keep yelling about how bad biodiesel is, and even get the dealers to chant it.

If biodiesel was good quality stuff, it would stop me from buying dinosaur, and the oil companies know this. They have a lot to lose in this game.

I certainly wouldn't go the home-made stuff, not in any new CR diesel, but I can't help but wonder if we're being blindfolded a little by companies that have everything to lose if people switched away from their products.

I've been concentrating on Shell, Caltex and lately ran several tanks of BP through it. I have used Mobil, Metro, United and one IGA (Wentworth NSW). I have a spreadsheet detailing the purchase location, amount, cost and LPHK for 10,682 litres of diesel that we've used since we bought the car.

Talking to my local small engine mechanic the other day about fuel.
He was saying he did an experiment with 91 non bio V's 98 premium unleaded.
He put a little of each in a open top tin and lit them, let them burn down to nothing and the 91 left a tar deposit in the bottom and the premium was clean.
As they say on T.V. Do not try this at home. Lol.
His conclusion is premium is cleaner burning.
Dunno about the diesel V's??????

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back