Waeco & Engel fridge capacities

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like this cooler will be good for what we need then.
I have a young family so 75% of the time we stay on powered sites, but we do plan on roughing it a bit more in the future. As such though it'd prob only be for 3-4 days max at the moment.
I think when I wire up my 2nd battery (135ah AGM) I'll put in an ammeter so I can keep an eye on how much my panels put in versus how much we are using.
At the moment the fridgemate is in my garage running in 40 deg heat (it's a hot one in Adelaide today) & is doing a good job of keeping some drinks cold on setting 3 on economy mode.

I am just using s clip on amp meter. Just a cheap one off eBay and may even purchase a good quality one. All you do is clip it over the positive cable and it reads the current flowing etc. I'm no electrician but it works.

I did some basic electronic studies when I was a teenager & remember current is measured with the meter in the circuit, whereas voltage can be just measured externally from the circuit because it measures the drop between points.
I'm just a little curious how amps/hour are calculated as the ammeter will give an instantaneous figure.

what you need to do is note how long it runs.

If t runs continuously at 2amps, then you are using 2amphours.

If it runs at 4 amps for 30mins on, then 30 minutes off, then you are still using 2Amphours.

If it runs 4amps for 15 on, then 15 off, then 15 on, then 15 off, still 2 Amphours.

Basically. That will give you the consumption per hour.

That is probably the longest you could be assed continually checking on a meter and watch to get the figures. It really is about measuring the draw during an on period, and timing the on and off period, and then a bit of number crunching.

You workout the total daily amphours by multiplication, BUT wait, there is more. Usually it will draw more power during the hot/warmer afternoon and least power during the early AM time.

So a reading during the afternoon will almost certainly give you your worst case for working out the total battery capacity.

What I tend to do with my system is just record morning(before sun hits the solar panels) voltage level and late afternoon battery voltages to keep an idea of how it is all going.

There are some "this voltage means this full" charts floating around, but I'm not recommending any. If you want to know a bit about looking after batteries, the Bill Darden Battery FAQ is my bible on it. he isn't trying to flow you stuff like the other tossers.,

I just brought a 60 lt ARB fridge freezer cost me 1350$ and love it. I use to have a engle which was good but the arb is heaps better.. Just me 2c worth

Latest posts

Back