Water crossings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
So who uses a car bra for deeper water crossings? I've got a snorkel and extended my rear diff high up into the engine bay. Will I have any problems going through deeper water? Say water up to the windscreen? Any tips for a newby?

don't go too fast... if you don't want to dish out for a proper one you can tie a tarp across the front, it will do the same thing. in saying that, there's probably plenty of people that cross lots of deep crossings without using them and not having any issues...

don't go too fast and try not to stop in the middle as the clutch really doesn't like getting water in between the clutch plate and pressure plate/flywheel, so if you stop and clutch it there's a good chance you won't be able to start moving again under your own power...

In deep water crossings there are two major factors to be concerned by.

1) Debris. Debris can be sharp, long and perfectly aimed to fit through the grille and punch a hole through your intercooler, airconditioning condenser and radiator in one swift movement, rapidly introducing water into the engine's intake manifold while ruining the air conditioning and radiator at the same time. A wading bra (or substitute) made from either rip-stop, canvas or other tough material combined with moderation in entry will protect you.

2) Radiator fan propulsion. The radiator fan is exactly that - a fan. It draws air from in front of the car through the radiator. Since water is 680 times denser than air, it stands to reason that the same fan moving at the same speed but now immersed in water will exert MORE force on the water than it would on the air. This force has to be balanced (Newtons laws) so the fan will try and dig its way through your radiator. The trick here is to form a steady bow wave and keep it going, and DON'T EVER rev the engine hard. Light, moderate, constant RPM and preferably with a wading bra in deeper water and you'll be fine.

I always use a tarp and have tied the fan back when it's deep and as Tony said don't rev create the bow wave and she will be fine after heaps of crossings or beach i remove the hubs and service them.

Latest posts

Back