Water in catch can oil?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Little worried as I was looking from underneath the car t0 check things out in general after a run on the weekend and noticed probably 30-50ml of water (clean water, not from bog hole) in the drain tube from provent catch can. So I opened up the top of catch can and saw milky looking oil in the top (bad sign right? this means oil + water = not good?) see picutre attached.

Just wondering if this could have been condensation somehow getting in (don't know how as everything is closed tight)? Or whether I should be investigating further / worried?

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

• 2014-09-29 08.09.42.jpg
    2014-09-29 08.09.42.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 2014-09-29 08.09.57.jpg
    2014-09-29 08.09.57.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 159
whats the sump oil like?
my guess is condensation cause your engine wouldn't last 10 min with that milk in it

i was going to say condensation as well - what are your hose like to your catch can?
for peace of mind - dump your oil and check it

Water - H20 - is a byproduct of the combustion of diesel (C12H23). If you're getting a lot of water in the blow-by, it will enter the sump area and should be visible first thing out of the sump plug (oil floats on water, so water will be at the bottom and not necessarily on the dipstick).

If there's nothing in your sump, the water's coming from elsewhere. It's unlikely to draw it in through the catch can outlet because crankcases will always be positively pressurised (meaning the gas will only ever flow out the PCV) so I'd actually closely examine all of the connections around the catch can itself to see if it's just seeping in.

I get water in mine, partly condensation, mostly from the water injection.

Water - H20 - is a byproduct of the combustion of diesel (C12H23). If you're getting a lot of water in the blow-by, it will enter the sump area and should be visible first thing out of the sump plug (oil floats on water, so water will be at the bottom and not necessarily on the dipstick).

If there's nothing in your sump, the water's coming from elsewhere. It's unlikely to draw it in through the catch can outlet because crankcases will always be positively pressurised (meaning the gas will only ever flow out the PCV) so I'd actually closely examine all of the connections around the catch can itself to see if it's just seeping in.

Thanks Tony, will check and report back. So should or should not be worried if there is water in the sump?

Water in the sump isn't great. Normally the water produced by combustion is so hot during its formation that it's steam, and is evacuated through the PCV before it has a chance to join the sump oil. If you DO have a lot of water in the sump, I'd look at how - check things like the dip stick seat which should have a rubber seal. Look for oil leaks around the sump and rocker covers.

There was no water in the sump and I haven't seen anymore in the catch can since so I'm going to put it down to condensation and just keep an eye on it. Thanks all for comments!

have you been driving in the rain or through big puddles etc?

the d22 has a hole in the plastic wheel arch just under air inlet. water can be splashed up and sucked into the air intake. i used to get a it a bit until i sealed the darn hole up.

Latest posts

Back