Water traps - fuel pre-filters etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog

Reaction score
I am interested to know if anybody has insatlled a pre-filter water trap in the fuel supply line on the ZD30 engine.
The "water watch" system described at this link Responsive Engineering | Water Testing System | Diesel Filtration | Water Watch
claims to be suitable and also claims not to restrict fuel flow. It costs around $450, but could be cheap insurance if a problem such as that reported recently on this forum by "dingo" in SA with some very poor fuel could be avoided.
So, has anybody iinstalled a system such as this or simlar?
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks reddog
:cheers!:

I don't have a D22, nor have I fitted one of these items. However, the fuel issue may have been caused by biodiesel or various contaminants in the fuel ranging from dirt, sand, soot to other fuel types, waxing (old diesel) and more.

Putting in a pre-filter might be good insurance though. Just remember that a brand new filter will let the fuel flow a lot more freely than a half-filled filter.

I have a pre filter on my long range tank that transfers to the main tank, a CAV style. I've driven all over Oz, got fuel out of some of the most dodgey looking tanks you would have ever seen from Aboriginal communities. Not a drop of water in the bowl yet, I cut the last filter in half, some small specks of dirt, but nothing major that would effect the factory filter.

I wouldn't bother fitting a pre-filter unless your using jerry cans often.

water watch and bowls are only good for catching free water. there are not good for catching emulsified water. if your going to fit anything i would fit a 2nd filter.
however with the ZD30 that means some sort of pusher pump to ovecome the extra restriction (or at least check what the restriction is like.
common rail motors are not effected as much from the extra restriction.

Thanks for the replies. I understand that the water traps only catch free water. Is it also true that all filters also only catch free water and that water that is emulsified passes thru' and can potentially corrode fuel pump injectors etc.
So how do you get some protection from this?
Is the use of a fuel additive that aids emulsification of water and provides lubrication to pump etc all you can do?

just refreshing this thread as im now worried about water contamination from to diff blokes YD25 motors gone boom due to "water contamination" unsure if this is typical nissan palm offs but i cant afford $12k and i know CR struggle once water comes to play...

any1 have mates or heard of CR motors dying from water?? iv heard the odd one here and there but not a great deal...and has any installed a good water fuel filter type setup?

heard of TONS of CR motors dying due to water. even made the news here a little while back.

i think CR heats the fuel more than normal injection pumps. this reduces lube and probably makes the effects of water so much worse.
also a big problem for a lot of small engines is the amount of fuel being pumped back to tank. high flow makes it hard to separate water.

in some countries the navaras come factory fitted with a sedimenter and fuel filter.

The Nissan CR runs the rail at a higher pressure too. Pressure does strange things to liquid, and mixing liquids and pressurising them can cause very bad reactions as one liquid will change volume at a different rate to the other. The emulsification of water in diesel will do just that.

I haven't yet considered a water trap for mine, but maybe I should.

i havn't got a pic stored, tho i have seen a photo of one past on by a member and its listed in the manual.

Latest posts

Back