Weight of your rig

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hit a roo last weekend just bent it back into shape with the highlift lol

I find the hardest thing is they don't stand still. I suppose the extra reach with the jack was the trick. I'll have to remember that the next time I need to straiten out another Roo!

Soon they will change the laws and make us 4wd owners have light truck licences to operate our 4wd's the way the laws are going..... Decent mods fuel and a big caravan you must be over 4 tonnes......

Considerably higher. My Navara is 2560 empty, and with passengers and stuff add another 200Kg - 2760Kg. Ball weight of 130Kg takes her to 2890Kg, which is 90Kg under the GVM (noting that I don't have to deduct anything from the GVM for that ball weight).

With 2760Kg of car and 2550kg of caravan we're looking at a total weight heading to the Muster of 5310kg.

Because we're in a vehicle that's under 3.5T GVM and towing less than 4.5T, a car license is all that's required. However, if we exceed these limits then the game changes.

But I do wonder what to do sometimes. Here's the conundrums:

1) 5.3T of car + van entering a street that says "Nothing over 5T". Is that 5T limit just for the one set of wheels, or the entire vehicle?

2) Heavy Vehicle Inspection Station "Vehicles over 5T Must Enter". I did, but the station was closed so I continued on my way. Do I have to enter, does the 5T in this instance only refer to the tow vehicle or the entire vehicle+trailer?

3) Bridge stating "Vehicles over 5T Must Use Detour". So I did, but was it necessary?

Towing my work trailer I was on a weigh bridge the other day and it came in at 3.35t. So with my camper in tow it would be up around the mid fours.

I have been pulled over by the cops a few times for breath tests etc. and they haven't ever questioned it.
Mine is nothing compared to yours tony so I think I'll be ok.

NSW Law (may differ to other states, and other countries) states that the holder of a Class C license (car) may drive a vehicle up to a GVM of 4.5T that seats up to 12 people (including the driver) (source).

Trailers may be up to 4.5T and the entire combination length (including any load) must not exceed 19m. (source)

So a car license entitles people to endanger everyone with up to 9 tonnes of hi-octane tin-top death.

NSW Law (may differ to other states, and other countries) states that the holder of a Class C license (car) may drive a vehicle up to a GVM of 4.5T that seats up to 12 people (including the driver) (source). Trailers may be up to 4.5T and the entire combination length (including any load) must not exceed 19m. (source) So a car license entitles people to endanger everyone with up to 9 tonnes of hi-octane tin-top death.

Na with the D22 it will only be some minor injuries no death.

Thanks for the info. It would have to be ok or their would be heaps of unlicensed grey nomads out there.

It's all about the Gross Vehicle Mass "GVM" of the powered vehicle. As long as it is under 4.5T and you are towing a trailer within the towing specs of that vehicle it all good in SA to hold a "C" car licence.

You still have to take into consideration the Gross Combined Mass "GCM" that includes the tow vehicle, the trailer and the load including passengers and driver.

Lucky me I hold "MC" Multi Combination and "R" Rider so I can drive or ride anything I like.

As for conundrum number 1 Old Tony, if the sign says No Entry GVM 5T then you should be fine but if it's 5T GCM then no.

Back