Welders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahah agreed. would purchasing a argon bottle and having them fill it be cheaper?

rusty

Hey mate.

With regards to the duty cycle of the Lincoln, if it helps, i have never hit it once while doing stuff in the shed.

Gas bottle rent is bloody shit, but i figured it was only $16.50 a month, $4 a week..lol. Your right though, if the mig sits there for a whole year its a waste, but there are not many options.

I haven't run mine without gas yet (gasless), i probably never will unless working outside.

They really have us by the balls with gas hire.

Pete

Ok still studying my welders and trying to find gas bottled for argon mix that I can buy outright. I have turned away from the esab and kemppi items and leaning towards the cig, Lincoln, boc smootharc, miller. Miller don't have the style I want so I'm down to 3.

Lincoln mig 180
Boc Smootharc 250
Cigweld Mig 200 I think

Anyone good with brands. Lincoln has had a great rep and all welding shops highly recommend them with the extra length mig torch and also the alloy series100 gun for welding alloy.

Ok so I've settled on brand which is Lincoln Electric models 180 and 215. Obviously very similar in design but one is quite bulky and on its own trolley. Also settled on 4.5m gun and spool gun for either machine I get. Still stuck on gas but Supagas are cheapest with bigger capacity bottles. $180per/year bottle hire and then around $80 for bottle swap refills. Have looked at CO2 gas but it won't provide the smooth weld needed.

Any Brisbane people have either machines and remember what they paid for them and where from. Also any more detail would be great.

Thanks

Ok so I've settled on brand which is Lincoln Electric models 180 and 215. Obviously very similar in design but one is quite bulky and on its own trolley. Also settled on 4.5m gun and spool gun for either machine I get. Still stuck on gas but Supagas are cheapest with bigger capacity bottles. $180per/year bottle hire and then around $80 for bottle swap refills. Have looked at CO2 gas but it won't provide the smooth weld needed.

Any Brisbane people have either machines and remember what they paid for them and where from. Also any more detail would be great.

Thanks

180 a year is pretty good mate. Im with supagas and paying more then that.

Heres a link you may be interested in;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lincoln-...ding&hash=item4abefadb99&_uhb=1#ht_553wt_1270

Pete

180 a year is pretty good mate. Im with supagas and paying more then that.

Heres a link you may be interested in;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lincoln-...ding&hash=item4abefadb99&_uhb=1#ht_553wt_1270

Pete

thanks pete

great find. i think it may be the go if i get it cheap enough. i cna jus tby the extras later. i got gas quotes from everyone i know and all others wanted $16.50 + for bottle hire and over $100 for refills. thought supagas was still pricey so am gonna ask around work about argon mixes as we have some pretty big welding workshops i some of our areas so maybe ill be able ot longterm loan one

thanks

Thanks

Is that the 180 c or the 180 i inverter model, Have you ever used a spool gun? I only ask as i,m thinking of a mig and spool gun as well and am wondering is alloy harder to weld skill wise

Is that the 180 c or the 180 i inverter model, Have you ever used a spool gun? I only ask as i,m thinking of a mig and spool gun as well and am wondering is alloy harder to weld skill wise

Mate they are both C models. 180c and 215c there is only 40amps difference and obviously better duty cycles. I havent used a mig welder yet bt am soon to start learning on my cousins machines as he is a boilermaker. Apparently spoolguns are good and you still use alloy wire and pure argon to weld. it is just quicker.

rusty

I,m still keen on the uni mig, 250 amp inverter mig with stick and tig, Its spool gun ready and takes 15 kg rolls of wire. My issue is i want to sell my bike first

Had settled on the 215c by lincoln, but have since been looking at the Cigweld Transmig 200i. This is a 3in1 unit which means i can sell my cigweld 130i stick unit to recoup some of the costs.

Anyone used this unit?

Rusty

Soooo, if i were going to buld say, a trailer what unit would you suggest i use??
keep in mind i dont want to use gas as i just dont weld enough, im able to use a stick fairly efficiently as well.

Go to the hare and Forbes site and look at their uni mig range of mig and multi purpose welders.

I bought myself the uni mig 180 for Xmas. It does have a 15A plug though and I'm running gas. I've heard good things about the similar amp multi machine which I think I have seen sub $900 on occasion.

Soooo, if i were going to buld say, a trailer what unit would you suggest i use??
keep in mind i dont want to use gas as i just dont weld enough, im able to use a stick fairly efficiently as well.

Steel trailer?, then stick will be fine.
Caveat, you'll have to be quick on tacking the lining if it is sheet metal. Make sure you can get a good welder with good low current control.

If you are planning a lot of light metal projects,then mig and look at CO2 from home brewing sources or that buy your own bottle source. Caveat, runs hotter.

Steel trailer?, then stick will be fine.
Caveat, you'll have to be quick on tacking the lining if it is sheet metal. Make sure you can get a good welder with good low current control.

If you are planning a lot of light metal projects,then mig and look at CO2 from home brewing sources or that buy your own bottle source. Caveat, runs hotter.

Cheers ill look into that.

Ended up purchasing the Cigweld 175i 3in1 inverter unit. Got it for a good price. Hopefully be able to use it soon on some gas and gasless wire.
Rusty

I have a Cigweld 130i stick welder for sale. Hardly used and when it was it was only for small runs or tacking work together.

Also check out this mob, they SELL you your own bottle. It works like BBQ bottles.

http://www.speedgas.com.au/argon.html

They didnt have a branch down my way, maybe you will be lucky.

Pete

Might go down this path, welding supplier in ballarat is now an agent, $189 for the bottle, including gas. Was around $50 for a refill. My only concern is there not very big, but there is no rental and even if I was to use 2 bottles a year at a $100 for both its still cheaper than $130 to $180 on rental alone. Anyone else using these bottles

Latest posts

Back