What DSLR to buy with my Reward points?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....

We're heading out to Lake Eyre later on this year & I need to replace out old compact digital for something that will do us for a long time to come.... Looking at DSLR's this time around.

Thinking of redeeming our Credit Card Reward Points via a Gift Card to use at either Dick Smiths or Harvey Normans.... Should have about $1100 or so once we redeem the points and I don't mind adding some $$ to get the right DSLR that will suit us into the future....
(Forgot to Mention: - I'm a beginner when it comes to photography)

Some of the things that I would like in a Camera:

- 2 batteries
- 2 Lenses that will suit most situations
- In-camera panorama stitch feature
- Good No of frames per second
- Built-in GPS - Optional
- HD Movie option

I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these cameras listed below?
It's between a Canon - Nikon - Sony

I want to use it for general photography around home / on holidays / sporting or spedd events + if I ever get the desire to do a photography course, I would like a camera that will that need + more experience over time....

List of Camera's on Offer:

Dick Smiths CAMERAS:

CANON EOS 550D Digital SLR Twin IS Lens Kit $1296
CANON EOS550D SLR 2L Kit BLK 18-55mm & 55-250mm Lenses $946
CANON EOS 1100D DSLR 2 Lens (non-IS) Kit $698
CANON EOS 1100D dSLR with 2 Image Stabiliser Lenses, Black $798
CANON EOS 1100D DSLR Family Kit $698
CANON EOS 600D dSLR Camera Twin Lens Kit $1048
CANON EOS60D DSLR Single Lens Kit $1246

NIKON D3100 DSLR VR Twin Lens Kit $893
NIKON D5100 dSLR Twin Lens Kit $1187

================================================== ===
HARVEY NORMAN Cameras:

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera Black - Single IS Lens 18-55mm $649
Canon EOS 1100D DSLR IS Twin Lens Kit $999
Canon EOS 550D DSLR Premium Kit $ 1448
Canon EOS 550D DSLR Twin Lens Kit $1146
Canon EOS 550D Adventure Kit $1799
Explore the world of EOS with Canon. The 550D Adventure Kit has everything for the intrepid explorer, including a Canon EOS 550DPK (Premium kit), passport sling travel bag, Platinum 16GB SDHC card, extra Canon EOS long-life battery, Canon EOS lens hood, Canon EOS lens cloth, Canon EOS UV filter, Lonely Planet’s guide to photography, Canon EOS timer, DSLR Gorilla Pod and Canon travel clock/currency converter.Home delivery or Pick up in-store

Canon EOS 600D DSLR - Black $849
Canon EOS 600D DSLR Twin Lens Kit $988
Canon EOS 600D SLR Camera - Single Kit $ 999
Canon EOS 600D DSLR Super Kit $ 1249
Canon EOS 600D DSLR Premium Kit - Black $1599
Canon EOS 60D DSLR Single Lens Kit $966
Canon 60D Sports Digital SLR Camera $1498

Nikon D3100 DSLR 55-200mm Twin Lens Kit $798
Nikon D3100 DSLR 18-55mm and 55-300mm VR Twin Lens Kit $888
Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera + VR Lens $788
Nikon D5100 DSLR Twin Lens Kit $1156

Sony SLT-A35 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens $799
Sony SLT-A35 DSLR Camera Twin Lens Kit $987
Twin kit includes 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses.Home delivery or Pick up in-store

Sony A55 DSLR Camera Twin Lens Kit $1068
The Sony A55 digital SLR camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses
Sony SLT-A65 DSLR Camera Twin Lens Kit $1288
Creativity is in your hands with the Sony SLTA65VK DSLR camera. Make the most of its 24.3 megapixels, 18 - 55 millimetre lens and cutting-edge technology for superb picture quality. It’s a great DSLR for people desiring more artistic functions on their cameras. Twin kit includes 18-55 and 55 -200mm lenses.Home delivery or Pick up in-store

Sony SLT-A65 DSLR Camera Single Lens Kit $1399
Creativity is in your hands with the Sony SLTA65VK DSLR camera. Make the most of its 24.3 megapixels, 18 - 55 millimetre lens and cutting-edge technology for superb picture quality. It’s a great DSLR for people desiring more artistic functions on their cameras.Home delivery or Pick up in-store

have a look at kogan.com.au they have canon and nikon cameras really cheap. will also pay to go into a shop and hold a few different cameras to find one you like holding the best.

Mmmm, I've been following the Canon 550D and 600D for a while now. I actually saw the 600D in D/Smiths cheaper than the 550D it replaced. I think Rusty is using a 600D at the moment, nice camera with exceptional HD movie recording.

ive got the 600d myself and its a great camera, had it for just over a year now.

I would consider at least getting the image stabiliser lenses though, makes a difference

If you have to use your reward points at one of these two places then of the deals you posted I'd suggest this one...

HARVEY NORMAN Cameras:

The 600D is a current model (the 550D is superseded), the 60D price restricts you to only one zoom lens and the Nikon 5100 good as it is is substantially more expensive for no real benefit.

With $1100 to play with you could also add in a nifty 50 prime lens inside your $1100 budget (highly recommended) to go with your twin lens kit and you've got a GREAT starter kit.

I would agree with the comment about going into the shop and trying the cameras in your hand first to make sure it feels ok. The Nikon 3100 for example is very small for a DSLR and many guys find it just a bit too small.

I'd be buying a body only & a decent lens 18-200mm, rather than a kit as the kit lenses aren't much chop, it will definitely go over your budget though but I speak from experience (2 kit lenses doing f all now).

Also get a tripod & remote release, will be some awesome sunrises & sets out there

Hmmm post disappeared, bloody phone.

I'd buy the body only and one lens 18-200mm, will blow your budget out but definitely worth it, check when Harvey Norman have 5years interest free or whatever they have.

Also get a sturdy tripod & remote control, some awesome sunrises & sets out there

I'd be buying a body only & a decent lens 18-200mm, rather than a kit as the kit lenses aren't much chop, it will definitely go over your budget though but I speak from experience (2 kit lenses doing f all now).

Also get a tripod & remote release, will be some awesome sunrises & sets out there

A 18mm-200mm lense, what sort of $$ are we talking about ?? One lense that covers a good range like that might be the go

If you have to use your reward points at one of these two places then of the deals you posted I'd suggest this one...

HARVEY NORMAN Cameras:

The 600D is a current model (the 550D is superseded), the 60D price restricts you to only one zoom lens and the Nikon 5100 good as it is is substantially more expensive for no real benefit.

With $1100 to play with you could also add in a nifty 50 prime lens inside your $1100 budget (highly recommended) to go with your twin lens kit and you've got a GREAT starter kit.

I would agree with the comment about going into the shop and trying the cameras in your hand first to make sure it feels ok. The Nikon 3100 for example is very small for a DSLR and many guys find it just a bit too small.

Thanks Fellas....

The 3 out of Nikon/Canon that I have been considering would be the EOS600D 60D & the Nikon 5100..... Maybe as suggested, if I just buy the body, then lense (like 18-200mm) seperately ???

RE:SONY Cameras

I would like the GPS feature, especially if u can't quite exactly remember where u took that photo, u can simply refer to the Geo-Tag and locate where the pic was taken.... When not req'd it can be disabled.
The inbuilt Auto-stitch feature I would have thought would be another good benefit to have, especially if the camera does a pretty good job at it.... but I don't know much about it. This is why I thought the Sony SLR is worth a look at as I believe some of their cameras come with the foremention features.....

I am restricted to either DSE or Harvey Norman due to the rewards poiints system and that doesn't worry me as I think we have about 195,000pts which roughly equates to about $1175 in cash and then I can add a bit of my own cash to that if need be.....

cheers....
rob

The 3 out of Nikon/Canon that I have been considering would be the EOS600D 60D & the Nikon 5100..... Maybe as suggested, if I just buy the body, then lense (like 18-200mm) seperately ???

IMO the Nikon D5100 has a slight edge over the Canon 600D due to it's sensor but it's not so great a difference as to be worth the cost difference that you'd be paying.

The Canon 60D has a slightly better auto focus system than the Canon 600D because it has more cross type AF points but your budget would only allow the 60D with the 18-55mm lens (3x zoom) which would be fairly restrictive.

For travel use it is hard to go past all in one zoom lenses but they aren't cheap.

The Nikon D5100 would be paired with the Nikon 18-200mm zoom lens (11x zoom) which is an $800 lens. That's way outside your stated budget (which is why I hadn't mentioned it originally). It's the best of the wide range travel zooms by quite some way though.

The Canon 600D or the Canon 60D can be paired with the Canon 18-200IS which whilst not as good as the Nikon 18-200 is still a good travel lens (it's not cheap either however).

You might be tempted to purchase a body and a 3rd party wide range zoom as some of them are fairly cheap.

Be careful! This is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

Tamron 18-200 <-- cheap and crap.
Tamron 18-250 <-- budget priced and not terrible (not great either).
Tamron 18-270 <-- medium priced and decent IQ (micro motor so slow focus)
Sigma 18-250 <-- medium priced and quick focus (some compromise on IQ)

I'm not sure if any of the 3rd party alternatives are available from Harvey Norman or Dick Smith though.

I agree with getting a good lens, you can always get more down the track as well :)

I like the L series lenses from canon due to their build quality but they are a bit more pricey. Best to get them as grey imports or directly from OS as the price difference is significant.

I use a 25-105 as well as a 100-400, both very good lenses.

As far as second battery is concerned, a good option is a cheap battery grip, try here - http://www.linkdelight.com/battery-grips.html

Latest posts

Back