What oil's are you using ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been reading about this lately, food for thought, 3000 miles = 4800 km's, also important to do the filter just as often because as they clog the oil starts to go through the bypass valve, just thought it might be of interest and yes I know many of us already know this stuff but some don't.
I change mine every 5000 km but wanted to know if I was wasting my money by doing it.

"Turbocharged engines likewise require more frequent oil changes because of the high temperatures encountered in the turbocharger bearings. A turbo can spin at tremendous speed (over 100,000 rpm in many instances). This, combined with the heat of the exhaust gases passing through the housing, creates an environment that accelerates oxidation of the oil. When the engine is shut off, for example, the temperatures inside the turbo bearing housing can soar to the point where it "cokes" the oil, forming hard black crusty deposits that can damage the turbo. Because of this, the recommended oil change interval for most turbocharged engines is 3000 miles or six months. The motor oil should be "turbo-approved" for such applications."

I tried starting a thread the other day because I have just changed to castrol magnatec professional 5w40 in the d40. I had been using amsoil full syn which is very good.
Anyone else using the professional. I purchased 20L with out knowing the price so it will be interesting when the bill comes. It has the signature green color to the oil and so far I can defiantly say my engine is running better. Cold starts are a little more smooth and motor just feels good.

I only bought mine 2 days ago so have no opinion of oils as yet but Penrite and DEL 400 seems to be very popular (I have an 03 DX 3.0L with 170 000kms on it). I am leaning towards DEL 400 for the bulk purchase ability.

I intend to do engine oil and filter every 7500kms.

Maybe air and fuel filters every 15 000kms? Or should this be done more often?

Drive train oils every 30 000kms?

Last edited:
Hello,

Picked up some Penrite HPR oil for my service, but realised its a 15/50 oil. My Nav has 173000kms on it, will this oil be too thick, should I exchange for a 5/40?

I think trucks can push the 30k service intervals due to the amount of oil they hold. The YD25 has a small sump so the amount of oil contaminates a lot quicker. My TD42 held 10.2 liters with twin filters so the oil stayed a lot cleaner than the Nav does. EGR blocking helps to.

Done my first service on the Navara today, I have never confessed to being the cleanest mechanic, but those side mounted oil filters make a mess when taken off! But fresh oil, oil/fuel/air filters all done!

Only done engine oil since purchase of the D40 but I've tried Valvoline super diesel, magnatec and now penrite HPR diesel 5W40.

Super diesel made cold starts sound like a Massey Ferguson, Magnatec was MEH and IMO the HPR 5/40 seems to work better (i.e. quieter at start up).

Having come from LS1s engine oil was a very personal choice and I reckon the same applies here as well.

i need to change the brake fluid and power steering oil in my d22 03 zd30. I would like to know what type of oils/fluids are recommened and what people use. for engine oil I use see pic. I change every 5000ks on average and filter every 10,000ks. once I finish the drum I will be changing to a synthetic oil but once again im not sure witch one to go with.
cheers

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 71
Only done engine oil since purchase of the D40 but I've tried Valvoline super diesel, magnatec and now penrite HPR diesel 5W40.

Super diesel made cold starts sound like a Massey Ferguson, Magnatec was MEH and IMO the HPR 5/40 seems to work better (i.e. quieter at start up).

Having come from LS1s engine oil was a very personal choice and I reckon the same applies here as well.

Dave - you know that coming from LS1's - there was only one real right answer (apparantly)... Castrol Edge 10w60 ;)

I use Penrite Enviro 5w40... Fully synthetic and does the job...

i need to change the brake fluid and power steering oil in my d22 03 zd30. I would like to know what type of oils/fluids are recommened and what people use. for engine oil I use see pic. I change every 5000ks on average and filter every 10,000ks. once I finish the drum I will be changing to a synthetic oil but once again im not sure witch one to go with.
cheers

anyone that can help.

Hi I have over one and a half 5litre containers of Shell Helix Extra Ultra 5W30 full synthetic engine oil , Which I bought to change the oil in my Vw diesel golf ,but got it serviced else where .
Would or could I use this oil in my 2008/9 Navara 2.5 CR diesel ?

Hi I have over one and a half 5litre containers of Shell Helix Extra Ultra 5W30 full synthetic engine oil , Which I bought to change the oil in my Vw diesel golf ,but got it serviced else where . Would or could I use this oil in my 2008/9 Navara 2.5 CR diesel ?

If you have a D22 yes no worries, but if you have a D40 check if it's ok to use with a DPF. Not sure it you need a certain oil for that. Someone on here should know.

Cheers

No I just have a D22 DX single cab , Although this oil is suitable for vehicles with a DPF as ive been using it on my Gt golf Diesel 125 KW with DPF as its WV approved /

Are people using HPR diesel? Or the regular HPR because regular HPR says its suitable for light duty diesel engines.

Latest posts

Back