What to do? d22 or d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brmi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2009 d22 navara. its done about 15,000kms. im pretty happy with it, lacks a little bit of grunt tho.

I want to get a hard cover ($1800), a chip ($700) and remote central locking ($300 or so). Thats just the basics. Around $3k worth.

I've seen a 2008 d40 v6, with a hard cover for sale for $29,500. Its done 38,000kms. And obviously no need for chip or remote central locking as extras then.

I get 630-650kms to a tank, which costs around $80-90. I asked the seller what the economy is like, he says he gets around 450-500kms per tank, and that costs $70. I think its a 65lt unleaded tank.

Should i stick to the d22 and buy the extras. Or opt for the better model without paying for any extras, but -maybe- suffer from a little less fuel efficiency?

Thanks, Brad.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to do with it too, but at the moment you have a vehicle that you already know with relatively low mileage. The other vehicle is an unknown.

I looked up the D40 Petrol - it has an 80 litre tank just like the diesel. At 500km per tank, he's getting 16LPHK which is quite good for a petrol model.

If you're getting 650km to a tank that's 12.3LPHK. Unladen that's probably a bit high, you might try a reset and see if that improves.

There's another difference to consider if they're both Dual Cabs. The D40 has more legroom in the rear and if it's an ST-X it'll have 3 child restraint hooks behind the seat.

The D22 is more capable off-road than the D40, which sits lower to the ground and has a wider turning circle.

Food for thought. Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick reply's.

It is an st-x and we do plan to start having a family in the near future. Its really a tough choice. The st-x looks nicer but the d22 appears to be better on fuel. I dont really do a lot of off-road driving, so that doesn't worry me to much.

I'm leaning towards making the switch. Got a couple of days to figure it out.

Help!

If you are going to use it for a family car primarily and not have it purely for your toy, like myself,
I will bite the bullet and push u towards the '40.
But entirely your choice.

ps. i would recommend a diesel engine though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your considering a family the D40 is the way to go with factory fitted child restraint anchor points. The D22 doesnt come with them so need to be fitted and engineered? to be able to have kids in the back. This was the major selling point for me when I bought my D40 (second to the fact it has 5 inch lift and 33 inch tyres :rock:) as my other half is pregnant.

I don't mean to sound sceptical, but I think when they guy got 500km's out of the tank he was going downhill all the way with a big tailwind lol. They can be thirsty beasts those v6's.

With the price of fuel going up all the time I would seriously consider staying with what you have and mod it to suit. As I also have a 5.7lt to fill each week, (wife`s car) It can quickly empty a 75lt tank.shitbox holden.It sounds like simillar fuel usage to the D40.Diesel all the way.

AAAhhh It's good to see someone different come along every few weeks and rehash the whole which is better debate. Nissan need to make an extra few models in the Nav range so these debates can go on for longer and have more than just two recommendations.

Although votes rarely sway between makes it's interesting to see how peoples justification for their chosen ride changes as these post go along. I saw screw both they just don't look the goods, if you want something that looks and preforms go GW motors all the way. GW come with the added bonus you can nearly buy two for the price of one Nav.

Parking a D40 is not a lot of fun (really bad turning circle) ... my wife wont drive it for that reason alone (good for me, because its MY toy)

The D40 RX version does not come with child restraints (mentioned in d40abuser post)- you need to have them put in after market (speaking of that, does anyone know where i can get someone to put them in my RX - local to Berwick if possible)

My thoughts would be for you to stay with your D22 - as it is new, and you know what you have, and its desiel - and not even really run in yet. Put the upgrades U want on your toy and enjoy it all the way. That way its your custom upgrade, not someone elses.

(oops ... and i'm a proud D40 owner .... i needed the leg room)

Most mechanics will do the job for you Woody. I know of at least half a dozen in my immediate area who will do it and several of them are RACV approved (which used to mean more than it does now but must still mean something).

Hey brmi,

I have a D22 and a mate has the V6 D40. He reckons it goes like a cut snake and is bordering on lethal power, especially in the wet, but he also complains about the massive fuel consumption. You'd probably burn double the amount of fuel you are currently burning in the D22, but you'll have more fun!

I modded up my D22 to have all of the goodies I wanted in the D40 and haven't looked back. Besides the D22 looks sick with a decent set of tyres and a suspension lift, and they go better with a chip and exhaust mod.

I can do without the central locking as I love the plain metal key which can come out surfing with me without shitting itself.

Be wary of the Nissan Petrol motors. I had a Patrol ST4500 and it drank like a cashed up wino. It was the reason I eventually sold it for the Nav. I reckon draw up a Pro's and Con's list and see how they stack up.

Good luck

DJ

I went that way to get remote centra locking on my D22, but I need to pull the drivers door apart as the servo has become unreliable. It makes a two step process out of unlocking it sometimes. Hit the fob to disarm the alarm then open the door with the key. I am assuming that the servo has come loose in the door.

I have posted similar on other areas of the site, but I am considering doing the same trick and selling my D22 for a D40.

Pro for the D40 deisel:

Bigger and more comfortable inside and with a bigger tray.
Better ride quality from a car which I would do around 50,000km a year in, so it really matters.
Child seat anchors, or at least easy fitting of aftermarket ones if I bought a low spec car
More torque for towing
Availability of an auto for towing
Fuel consumption that seems on par with the D22
ABS where my D22 does not have it
Quieter

Against:

Turning circle borrowed from the QEII
Cost
Non Japanese build quality
Non Japanese sourced diff, which has displayed some issues already in some cars.
The dreaded DPF, which does not seem to be mature technology on the Nissans and still seems to be in the fuel economy killing phase. I believe that the 140KW D40 does not have one?

All that said, with 50,000km a year, if I did not need the towing ability I would just go get a grandpa car like a Maxima.

Back