Whats a bloke to do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
So a bunch of bloke (myself included) got made redundant yesterday. So two more weeks of work, then we're gone. Jobless.

So my question is, who knows the right people in the mining industry to talk to for an interview? I'm a trade qualified electrician, I've little to no industrial experience, I've only done commercial thus far.

But I'm keen for a change.

Cheers!

Hey mate, I've just sent an email off to a contact of mine for you.

I'll pm you his number if it pans out.

So a bunch of bloke (myself included) got made redundant yesterday. So two more weeks of work, then we're gone. Jobless.

So my question is, who knows the right people in the mining industry to talk to for an interview? I'm a trade qualified electrician, I've little to no industrial experience, I've only done commercial thus far.

Cheers!

I have a mate and brother going to port Hedland in the next month or so to start building new houses up there for the mines.PM me if your interested in getting there number Josh.

The real mining action is in WA. the only contacts i have are over there. I have spoken to them and they say, "if you have no mining experience you need to apply directly to the company itself" "recruiting companies are only interest in background experience"

Cheers!

G,day Joshman,

Give the Golds Mines a call at Orange in NSW, a mate of mine advised me they are looking for tradesman. Its ten days on ten days of, fly in fly out type work conditions. The following are Newcrest Mining contact details in Orange;

Cadia Valley Operations
SOUTH ORANGE NSW 2800
Telephone: (02) 6392-2300

PS, I hope this might help you!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

The real mining action is in WA. the only contacts i have are over there. I have spoken to them and they say, "if you have no mining experience you need to apply directly to the company itself" "recruiting companies are only interest in background experience"

My sis in law is a recruiter for one of those WA companies (no I'm not saying which one because last time I mentioned it to someone they rang her and told her I offered them a job) and she says pretty much the same thing.

They wont even hire truckies without a good amount of experience behind them now, one because they do get enough to pick and choose but two because they don't want to spend time and money training people who are likely to realise 6 months down the track that it's bloody hard work and head home.

Mate get onto Seek start throwing your resume around, the next place that i would start looking is the shutdown arena (short stints, hard work) they run short of bodies and they start to just fill numbers, a lot of this is just disconnect reconnect work. Your chance to say that you have been on a mine, if your any good they will start getting you back and the blokes that supervise at the mine keep their eyes out for people during this time.

Also look at the labour hire companies.

Good luck mate with finding a job, i don't know what your status is but mine would be "have ute will travel"

Not good Josh.

Our contract with Telstra is up next June, so I gotta either get into the mines, Railways or do fibre.

Hoping to get into the railways more as it is more secure.

Been there before and probably be there again soon.
Overheard some conversations that most of my team is going to be let go in the next week or two.

Construction industry is going down the bog hole. Especially here in Adelaide, there is fuck all work here at the moment. Eastern states look much healthier, so much so, that I interviewed for a job in Melbourne today. Just gotta hope it or something else pans out before the axe drops...

Chin up and good luck with the search!!!

Dear Joshman and other guys that have lost your jobs or are in the process of loosing your employment. Please contact the following;

Newcres Mining;

For those of you that live in NSW contact the following mine;

Cadia Valley Operations
SOUTH ORANGE NSW 2800
Telephone: (02) 6392-2300

For the rest of you that live all around Australia contact the following;

Head Office
Newcrest Mining Limited
Level 9, 600 St. Kilda Road
MELBOURNE VIC 3004
Australia
Telephone: +61 (0)3 9522 5333
Facsimile: +61 (0)3 9525 2996
Email: [email protected]

Brisbane Office
Newcrest Mining Limited
Level 32
400 George Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
Australia
Telephone: +61 (0)7 3318 3300
Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3318 9203

Perth Office
Newcrest Mining Limited
193 Great Eastern Highway
Belmont WA 6104
Australia
Telephone: +61 (0)8 9270 7070
Facsimile: +61 (0)8 9277 7127

Cracow Operations
Theodore Road
CRACOW QLD 4719
Australia
Telephone: +61 (0)7 4993 7900
Facsimile: +61 (0)7 4993 7911

Mt Rawdon Operations
Swindon Road
Mount Perry QLD 4671
Telephone: (07) 4156 2222
Facsimile: (07) 4156 2200

Gosowong Operations
PT Nusa Halmahera Minerals
Komp Perumahan PT NHM
Wenang Permaii II, Kairagi
Manado, Sulut 95016
Indonesia
Telephone: +62 21 7884 6956
Facsimile: +62 21 7884 6970

Papua New Guinea
Level 7, Pacific Place
Crn, Champion Parade & Musgrave Street
Port Moresby
Telephone: +675 321 7711
Facsimile: +675 321 4705

Lihir Operations
Pupput
Lihir Island
New Ireland Province
Telephone: +675 986 4014
Facsimile: +675 986 4018

Kavieng Office
Coronation Street
Kavieng
New Ireland Province
Telephone: +675 986 4014
Facsimile: +675 986 4018

Bonikro Operations
Equigold Côte d'Ivoire
Le etage du Centre Commercial
Immeuble "Dany Centre"
Face Patisserie Pako
Deux Plateau Vallons
Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Africa
Telephone: +225 4600 4700

My mate advised me they are looking for tradesman. Its ten days on ten days of, fly in fly out type work conditions. The following are Newcrest Mining contact details in Orange;

Please remember!you can lead a horse to water, but you carn't make it drink!

PS, I hope this might help you all!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

Thanks heaps RLI, i called that number you provided earlier yesterday afternoon and after following the relevant prompts it told me to go to their website and apply for jobs through there, and from what i could see, you need to have some mining experience or at least the relevant certificates and qualifications to be on a mine site before you even apply...

looks like i've got some up-skilling to do!

I was a leco in underground mines in the Newcastle area, I know most of the mines here cannot get get experienced tradesman and they all employ "cleanskins" Have mates now working underground who never had experience working there now. The main thing they look for are "team players" and "safe work practices". I know in the past alot of cleanskins went to North Goonyellah, Blackwater area as experience wasnt required and still think they are struggling for blokes. Go for open cut as underground is shit work and very dangerous, good for the adrenalin glands though but fatalities are a reality! There is a website Mining Jobs Australia | Employment in Australian Mines | Unskilled Mining Jobs WA and i think it has a lot of info on its site.
Good luck mate, not that you will need it. You can pick up work anywhere around the hunter and ask for 35-40 bucks an hour due to tradesman shortages.

Have mates now working underground who never had experience working there now.

Decades ago, I was nearly prevented from going underground as I was athmatic(sp?). Would have rouble using the CO2 device. Probably still the case.

He gave me the ticket as I said it was only for 3 months work experience.

That might be the only gotcha.

Mate mechanical electrical isn't rocket science, i've been in mech services before for 2 years in a rotation around the company that i work for, and picked it up fairly quick, you should be fine.

still looking blokes, thanks a bunch for your support and links, etc. i've applied for an insane range of jobs, everything from mining to construction to hema maps, ARB, 4WDaction, etc, everything!just waiting to hear back now!

terryc said:
What do Hema want you to do?

Nothing, just though I'd put in application anyway, saying how I love their product and love touring and 4x4ing and photography. They replied saying that there's nothing going but well try and get you to have an interview with the GPS crew anyway.

Ok, so there's another chapter in this saga. I was only out of work for a week and a half, and have been working with a company doing maintenance at amberley RAAF base.

And just got the arse this morning...

The job hunt continues!

Latest posts

Back