Whats wrong with this picture?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjwooly

Reaction score
Got an issue guys I hope you can help with.

Found that I had a leak in the coolant system and found it here in the pipes coming from the firewall on the passenger side.

As you may be able to see the left hand pipe has broken at the clamp:pissedoff: so looks like I will have to replace that whole plastic connection bit.

Anyone else had this happen??

Anyways I was wondering which way the coolant flows so that I can block it off till I can repair it...any ideas before I turn it on and have to have a look myself. I don't really want to waste anymore coolant as I just filled it with the Nissan shit a few days ago.

Cheers.

added some more pics....honestly the stupidity of Nissan to do what they have done here...check out these pics.

That alloy pipe could have just turned and went into the hose into the firewall but oh no we gotta put a bit of plastic on the end with a little pipe(blocked anyway).Will probably have to replace the whole damn thing (Alloypipe)
which of course goes from one side of the engine bay to the other and right at the back...yippee!
Pjw

Attachments

• Feb 2015 012.jpg
    Feb 2015 012.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 587
  • Feb 2015 010.jpg
    Feb 2015 010.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Nissan Navara fault 004.jpg
    Nissan Navara fault 004.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 514
  • Nissan Navara fault 008.jpg
    Nissan Navara fault 008.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 2,818
Last edited:
Coolant flows from the EGR cooler at the front of the engine into the heater matrix inside, then comes out and feeds back in to the cylinder block. It's fairly easy to follow that route.

When the coolant system gets up to pressure though, you would want to have both sides blocked, you don't want to have one 'open' or you will still lose coolant.

You can still use the aircon and heater, just the heater will be an aircon too lol, without coolant circulating through it, you won't get any hot air.

^ indeed. The heater portion of the air conditionining system uses engine coolant as a heat source. That's why:

* your heater never works for the first couple of minutes of engine operation

* if your car is overheating, you can assist it by opening all your windows and turning the heat on full (with aircon off)

* if your heater matrix corrodes and starts leaking coolant, you will have a very odd stink in the cabin

* if your heater matrix corrodes and starts leaking coolant, you will have a very odd stink in the cabin

And a MASSIVE repair bill to pull the whole dash out usually. Be thankful it's a piece of plastic in the engine bay that is broken, that is trivial to fix!

Had this snap off. New one from Nissan didn't have air vent cap on it. Makes it bloody hard to know that all air is out of the system but did get rid of weak spot.
And the metal tubing is a bastard to get out and in. Had to pull diesel filter, wheel arch lining and a whole bunch of shit out to get it in.

did the new piece still have the plastic elbow or have they done away with that??
I just want to block them off for now and that's a mission in itself.

looking at that alloy pipe...it seems to be a drain and not much else cos it has a drain pipe coming off it which is in between both ends of the pipe so it must be for condensation...would that be right.?

Last edited:
ok so at the end of the day this is what I did to fix it...FOR NOW!

What was left of the plastic elbow was reconnected to the firewall hose with a hose clamp and some serious pulling to get it away from the firewall a bit (10mm).

Bleeder pipe on the top snapped off so a fat screw went in there with a rubber washer to slow the possible leakage down.

Hopefully that will last a few days until I get the replacement pipe.

Attachments

• Navara Repairs 004.jpg
    Navara Repairs 004.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited:
Unfortunately not. Pipe joins around near the oil filter. Think it connects to the oil cooler. Has a bloody awkward drain looking piece on it which is closed at pipe. No idea what for cause you'll hate it by the end of the day. But the line itself definitely carries coolant and the piece that breaks of is the coolant air vent. The vent which has since been deleted but the plastic is still there.

cheers steeld40...how much was the replacement piece from Nissan?

I'm hoping to get one from the wreckers.

Both Nissan and the wreckers are on my way home.

Honestly can't remember. I just needed to fix it. Was surprised they had one in Perth to sell. Typical Nissan pricing but I don't think it was too ridiculous. Only grief with a wreckers would be getting it out clean and plastic in same dodgy condition. Of course motor out you could just pluck it off.
Good luck.

Ok went to Nissan and they want $379 I think it was for this flimsy bit of pipe.
So went to Gold Coast 4WD wreckers and found one for $25.

Now since it sounds like a shit to get out and replace I'm gonna try a different angle...
cutting the bad out and replacing with the good via a piece of hose from my new one and a couple of hose clamps....

So in the pic I will cut the old pipe (left line) and add the piece with the plastic on it to the other end and use the hose you see to join them.

Will post some pics when done sometime in the next few days....

Pjw

Attachments

• Nav Repairs 001.jpg
    Nav Repairs 001.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 133
Ok job done .

Took about an hour all up.

1.Cut the pipe that was in the engine bay about 4 inches from the broken end.
2.Cut the new piece to replace it (allowing for some space between the two)
3.Measure and cut hose to join the two pipes.
4.Fit hose to new fitting.
5.Fit new pipe to old pipes.

Remember to have your clamps in place ready to tighten and do not overtighten.

Attachments

• Feb 2015 013.jpg
    Feb 2015 013.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Nav Repaires 2 001.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 001.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Nav Repaires 2 003.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 003.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Nav Repaires 2 005.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 005.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Nav Repaires 2 006.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 006.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 123
And when the job is done....

So don't go ripping out the whole pipe as some have said it is a mission..

Just try to get some of the hose still connected to the pipe when you are at the wreckers to save trying to find the correct fit and buy some various hose clamps.

I got mine from SuperCrap in a pack of about 12 for $12.

>threw in a pic of the broken one>

Pjw

)The pipe at top of pic has since been connected)

Attachments

• Nav Repaires 2 007.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 007.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 113
  • Nav Repaires 2 009.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 009.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Nav Repaires 2 010.jpg
    Nav Repaires 2 010.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back