Wheel bearing temperature

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffta

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just driven 250kms from Karratha to Port Hedland. I took the temperature of the two front manual hubs upon stopping. They were both reading mid 50 degrees Celsius. Is this normal or symptomatic of a wheel bearing on the way out?
Cheers

Pretty sure that's a low temp. Considering that's normally the outside temp up there isn't it. Haha.

Yeah...the ambient temp is around 38 C today! :)

So, mid fifty sounds like a normal running temp you reckon?
(Thanks for the quick reply by the way)

No worries.

I'm no pro on bearing temps, but I know my mates bearings were on their way out when he went to touch the hub and pretty much burnt his hand. I would say that if the bearing was on its way out there would possibly be some friction build up, and after 250km I'd say the temps would be extreme.

My trailer bearing shat itself on one trip, it had smoke pouring out of it, like a burnout car in a comp. now that was super farking hot when I changed it.

Our work vehicles were having testing done on CVs with temps constantly recorded, and they were up around the 70 degree mark and no one was worried about that.

Hope I'm not wrong. Haha.

You can also jack the wheel off the ground and test for lateral movement in the wheel. If there is movement you either need more grease if the grease has gone, tighten the bearing if they have come loose some how or a new bearing, which might be needed depending on how long either of the other two has been happening for.

Latest posts

Back